iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

biomass conversion factors

Started by WAP Man, January 19, 2011, 11:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAP Man

Trying to come up with a Biomass conversion factor ( tonnes to m3 or cords )for mixed ( softwood and hardwood) loads of stem wood destined for biomass.
Might be a impossible task since the loads could be a 50/50 mix or a 90/10 mix etc.... I know there are a few plants in the North East who accept roundwood for biomass was wondering ihow they deal with mixed loads

Ron Wenrich

If its being used for biomass, why would there be any problem with the mix?  Wouldn't they just buy it by the ton?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

All by the tons/load as read on the scales.
~Ron

WAP Man

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 20, 2011, 03:45:21 PM
If its being used for biomass, why would there be any problem with the mix?  Wouldn't they just buy it by the ton?
The issue in our region is that we have legislated Forestry Regulations whereas Industrial uses are required to report how much primary forest products ( roundwood ) ... they acquire by specie ..hwd vs swd ..for which conversion factors are avialable .. the issue now is mixed loads ,which under our current reporting Regulations are not allowed..unless they weigh the load ....the trucker go to the yard ..unloads the swd ..comes back over the scale to weigh the remaining hwd... quite cumbersome and likely not popular.
It has been suggested the scaler could estimate the % swd vs hwd on the load and then calulate the tonnage from that and enter the amount into his database. Sounds more logical and workable ....

Biomass is becoming quite a commodity here and our regulations will need to be refined to deal with it ..

Silviculture is tied to the amount of PFP required ..round wood ..so it is important the playing field is level as all mills pay all or a portion of their silviculture costs based on wood acquired ... by specie . With no allowance for mixed loads being biomassed ...these users might possibly avoid their silviculture obligation ..

A bit long winded ....

WAP Man

Quote from: Ron Scott on January 20, 2011, 04:26:21 PM
All by the tons/load as read on the scales.
It's the reporting of these wood volumes by swd vs hwd that becomes the issue . see my reply above

beenthere

And again, more problems caused by the "reporting" paperwork requirements of the bean counters. And in the end, doesn't mount to a hill of beans. :)   IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WAP Man

Quote from: beenthere on January 21, 2011, 11:35:46 AM
And again, more problems caused by the "reporting" paperwork requirements of the bean counters. And in the end, doesn't mount to a hill of beans. :)   IMO

Can't say I disagree ...but them  :P  bean counters use the numbers to determine harvest levels  smiley_contract

Thank You Sponsors!