iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

almost out of wood for the year!

Started by Tom L, February 11, 2014, 02:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

outhouses I can remember them all to well and in the fall my grandma use to make me bath in the little creek by the house that water was cooold you did not dilly dally around that's for shur ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 16, 2014, 08:56:22 PM
Now Swampish I'm old but it wasn't 100 years ago .More like 60 but I guess that was before your time .

My point was that it was not 100 years ago like some people have their minds about the 'good old days' :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

I'll be through all of the wood I had planned on burning this year in another week or two (probably a little over five cords).  It's been cold this winter, but I think my consumption really went up since we put on an addition to the house (went from 816 square feet to 1850).  The addition is still closed off for the most part, but since the basement is open into the new part there's so much more cold air the wood stove has to heat.  Going to have to finally run duct work to get more heat upstairs or turn on the electric heat  :-\  Luckily I stay two years ahead on my firewood, so I still have plenty to burn.

Al_Smith

:D Some times it's not how much you have it's if you can get to it short of a bull dozer .Just this afternoon as I came home from work was my little bud Tom the tree trimmer with a load of my ash in his Ranger .

Well he's probabley got 8-10 cords of oak but it's buried under a mountain of snow. No big deal I've got about 6 cords in that one pile ,enough for both of us until the thaw .That is if it happens before May .The way it's going it seems like that might be August .

r.man

Talked to a friend of mine yesterday who had borrowed my brothers truck and trailer. He was going to move wood for a woman who had run out and was getting some from a community agency that will provide the wood for free but you have to get someone to move it. That was his good deed for the day. He said they had provided wood for many people so far this year.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

SwampDonkey

Good thing for that, because our government pays out $100 for relief on fuel, which is better than toilet paper I suppose. They do allow some wood for welfare recipients, but that's no guarantee. Based mostly on whims and fancies and low budgets. You'd have better luck from good friends and kinder souls.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

yellowrosefarm

I will have burned fully twice as much wood as either of the last 2 years. Somewhere between 18 and 20 cord by the time it's over. The problem now is that's the ground is so wet I can't get near what's left of my pile of rounds without rutting the ground something terrible. I have enough in the trailer for a couple more weeks but there is moisture in the forecast every week going forward.

OneWithWood

Fortunately it is warming to above 40°F during the day so we can use the bio-diesel backup at night for a while.  Good thing because the tractor was down and I had no way to move firewood.  Put a new coolant pump on it today so should be back in business tomorrow.
Hopefully the warming trend continues and I can work on the wood for next year.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Engineer

Ran completely out of dry wood in my woodshed last night.  Have a big pile of cut/split pine that was covered in snow, the youngest son (age 9) and I spent all morning digging, chipping ice and snow off it and dumping it in the woodshed.  I got about half of it and the rest is too caked up with ice to even bother with.  I had a thought that I could run the hose out from my hot water spigot on the side of the house and melt off all the ice and snow.  Hot water shouldn't soak in that far and it'll surface dry in the shed.  I'll use up an extra load of wood in the OWB to get that hot water - I think it's a good trade.  No different than burning dry wood that's been out in the rain.

I also dropped a dead 18" ash tree that's been itchin' to come down for a couple of years.  Dropped it on the driveway, shattered into dozens of pieces, but the bottom 30' of the trunk was good and solid.  That got quickly hand-split and tossed in the shed too, so I should have enough wood until things thaw out around here.  Then it's crazy town around here, trying to get 16 cords of wood for next winter.

SwampDonkey

I have a couple cord left in the basement. Another 1/2 cord outside and 1 cord in the shop. She's all down hill from here. ;D

Al_Smith

I don't know about that Swampish .This might be another little ice age .It's moving in next week again I hear .You'd better hustle it up and tote that pile down to the basement while the weather is still nice .

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!