iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Woodmizer

Started by armechanic, March 20, 2016, 04:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armechanic

I need to reseal the blade adjuster and was wondering if anyone has used any o rings other than what is in them ? It is a odd looking seal, looks like a o ring encased in some kind of paper. Also what pressure should be on the blade ?  Thanks in advance.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is just me....but I would get the o-rings from Woodmizer. Just makes me feel better.

The PSI I run on my LT40 is 2800-3000.
Be sure to take the pressure of before going home and I take the pressure off at lunch also.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

The kit from WM is $25. You might be able to find them aftermarket, but I can't imagine it would be much cheaper. I just did one a couple of weeks ago. I run 3,000 psi.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ncsawyer

Several years ago the tensioner when out on my old LT40. I was on a mobile saw job and when I went to tighten up the blade the tensioner started squirting fluid out.  I ran a mile down the road to the hardware store with the old seal that had failed.  The original seals have kind of a "squared off" edge.  I found an O-ring that was similar in size and used it to get me by.  I put it all back together and it worked for a year or so before it started leaking again. 

The next time, I actually had time to order the rebuild kit from WM.  It was pretty cheap from what I remember.  Easy fix. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Magicman

Save yourself some frustration and order the correct kit.  You get a new piston and everything needed to properly rebuild the entire unit. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

armechanic

Thanks for the info. I will call Woodmizer tomorrow. My mill is a 1989 so it has lasted a while and still a very good mill. I have let it set for a long time due to an accident, busted lung, crushed right shoulder, broke some ribs and broke my back so a long recovery.

barbender

With that damage report I am happy to hear you are getting to work on your mill again  :o
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

My kit did not have a new piston. I just happen to have a spare kit sitting on the passenger seat. The new plugs are metric. ::)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

armechanic

I ordered the kit from Woodmizer this morning, $35 and change. I learned the hard way young mules and old men is not a good mix, however I am back going, not quite as good, but going just the same.
Thanks for all the comments

Magicman

I may have misspoken Dave.  My piston was pitted, so apparently I ordered a new one when I ordered the kit.  Anyway, I got the piston replaced.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

That don't sound like fun, glad you're back up and running
Boy, back in my day..

armechanic

Well I received the kit and installed it, took a bit to get it bled, Now I am up and sawing once again. I had some good help from son and grandsons.

Magicman

Help is always good, especially son and grandsons.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Glad to see you back up and running. 

Thank You Sponsors!