iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping wood across the border?

Started by TFramer34, March 24, 2010, 11:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFramer34

Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm looking at bringing in a few truckloads of wood not native to the area--especially some oak. I know we have problems shipping it down to the States, but I was under the impression it was easier to bring it up. 

Ron Wenrich

Which borders are you talking about and in which direction?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

TFramer34

Canada/US border. Coming up into Canada.
I called Canada customs and they said for reclaimed lumber its not an issue, with the exception of some commerial cases. With green wood, they guy I spoke with said what they really are concerned with are logs coming up with bark attached still.  I'm going to look into it with a little more depth. I'd hate to get to the border with a trailer full of wood I just bought then run into a problem. I'll keep the forum posted in case anyone has an interest.
cheers

stonebroke

There is a lot of wood that goes from NYS to canada every week. The truckers bring it back on their backhaul.

Stonebroke

Ron Wenrich

We actually load trucks with logs that go to Canada.  The main species is birch.  But, the haulers are Canadians, so we don't get bogged down with any of the specifics.  Same goes for any lumber we sell to them.

It might do well to just contact someone who normally hauls either logs or lumber to do the trucking.  They'll know what documents you need.  I don't think its too much.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

I just sent out 10 tons of cedar sawdust to Montreal.  The only thing I provided was a commercial invoice and a bill of lading.  This was faxed to the buyer that gets it through customs.  Second load we sent.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Sawyerfortyish

I sent walnut,cherry and oak last week. The truckers were all from Canada and the last driver told me he had already cleared customs before I loaded him. The company I deal with tho said do not put even 1 piece of ash on any loads. It will cause all kinds of problems.

customdave

Did they give any reason for no ash?

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

chevytaHOE5674

Sawyerfortyish

rjwoelk

I am told no bark. But a call to cbsa and talk to the agriculture officer and he will give you the lowdown on how to import.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Southside

Cedar, Spruce, and Fir going into Quebec was no problem.  I don't think the customs even looked at the logs, they were usually more interested in finding some hidden compartment with US liquor or cigarettes in it being smuggled in.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Quote from: Cedarman on March 26, 2010, 07:42:24 PM
I just sent out 10 tons of cedar sawdust to Montreal.  The only thing I provided was a commercial invoice and a bill of lading.  This was faxed to the buyer that gets it through customs.  Second load we sent.
@cedarman how is that worth anyones while to truck cedar sawdust all that way?? Lol. Seems crazy to me!
Boy, back in my day..

rjwoelk

I have trucked cedar mulch from BC to IL 2000 miles.
6ft 1x6 dog eared boards. To TX
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Stuart Caruk

I've shipped a few lots of 10" x 14" x 34' long Doug Fir to Eastern Canada, and nobody has a problem. Client places the order, which is paid for before the beams leave. They provide the trucking and logisitics, I just load the trucks. They send the coolest trailers to handle the 75,000#'s give or take.

I do know that they clear customs at Aldergrove and head across Canada rather than go through the US and up. Seems weird, but perhaps there is nothing special about fir to the local (ish) border crossing. 
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!