iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

green oak

Started by Graywolf, April 17, 2019, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graywolf

How long should I wait before milling milling green oak

doc henderson

I had started into a reply about kiln drying it green or after airdrying, but Gray Wolf I see you are asking about milling.  Let me channel an expert if I may.  @GeneWengert-WoodDoc
Welcome to the forum GW
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

If you would like to fill in your profile, so we know more about your local, equipment, experience it will help.  i.e. if you have your own kiln with 20 years experience, you will get focused answers.  If you are just starting out, you will get links to knowledge base ect.  Local is important to know for air drying as another example.  Again Welcome
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  When you say "milling" do you mean sawing the log, or running lumber through a shaper / moulder, etc?  If the former then the sooner the better, if the latter, then not until it's no longer "green" oak.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!