iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dryer hose for dust collector???

Started by Part_Timer, December 26, 2006, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I'm finally getting around to hooking up my dust collection system in the shop along with cleaning it out.  I have run the 4" pvc everywhere I want and was wondering if I can use 4" dryer hose to connect to my system?  Any thoughts appreciated.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

beenthere

Try a short section of it on your vacuum system. See how it works. I'm thinkin it will collapse in a heart beat. It's meant for pressure blowing light dust. Not strong vacuum sucking sawdust and particles.  But have never tried it.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodhick

The aluminum type may hold up but I think the plastic won't last very long at all. Not that expensive to try and see.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Den Socling

I use the plastic stuff all the time for short, temporary connections to equipment I roll around.

Texas Ranger

This section of metal ducting has been working about 2 years, no problem.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Part_Timer

I'm going to stop by the hardware store tomorrow and get a piece and see what happens.  I wasn't paying attention to the size of pipe I bought and ended up with sch30 4".  Kinda limits where I get pieces.

TR I like that dust collection chute on the Radial arm saw.  If I keep mine I'll have to give something like that a try.

Thanks guys I'll let you know how it works out.  I'm about 2/3rds done with the renovation of the shop so it may be next weekend before I can give it a try.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

pineywoods

I've use dryer hose for years. works fine for sawdust, not so good if you hook it to a planner. Chips and splinters will punch a hole right through the plastic type or the thin aluminum on the metal ones. But it's a bunch cheaper than the heavy-duty stuff, just replace it when it starts leaking.  BTW patching with duct tape don't work..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Left Coast Chris

Suggest going to  www.grizely.com

I bought their 4" x 20' roll of clear hose and it is thick and good quality for $34.  They ship to your door step and are real fast.   Its good to have several longer sections around so you can clean the floor and you will always want to hook up more equipment. :)

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

DR Buck

I found this stuff at the below link about 2 weeks ago.    It's got a lot of good reviews and is inexpensive.   I'm getting ready to buy another 50' piece for my floor vacuum.

PSI Woodworking via Amazon
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Left Coast Chris

Let me try to spell again......

the site is:    www.grizzly.com

I like to use the grizzly clear pipe next to the piece of equipment because you can see if it clogs.   It's saved some hastles.

The amazon pipe is cheaper but you can't see through it.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

low_48

Yup, it'll work, but it's really bad for pressure drop. All that rough interior will drop the air flow a ton. Keep it as short as possible. If I remember correctly, one foot of flexible hose is the same as 10' of straight pipe for pressure drop.

Part_Timer

Well

I'm gona go to town tomorrow and get some of that metal flex for the arm saw and I think I'll order somne of that stuff from PSI next week.  I was going to hook it up to the planer so maybe it's not such a good idea.

I'm waiting on the spider for the love joy coupling for my new lathe. 

I'll post a couple of pics after supper.  I actually found my shop floor this morning. :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

Texas Ranger

when I power up the vacuum to the arm saw it tells you there is very good air flow, and it will pick up the little thin slices that come off.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!