iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln considerations

Started by two saw, February 05, 2007, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

two saw

Probably a ways off for me right now unless I can get busy enough to justify it, But I was wondering which type of kiln I should consider on the event I need to buy one. I have read some on the dehumidification kilns and the vacuum kilns and am not really sure the type I should consider. I am thinking of a small one. One that would dry 500 - 1000 board feet at a time. I like the ideas behind the vacuum kilns and the short cycle times they achieve.
Also I like the fact of not having to keep wood species seperated when loading. Aslo not having to sticker it all is another plus. Unless I read about them and misunderstood. I have been know for that upon occasion.
Any other considerations I should mull over?
How hard would it be to build a vac. kiln? anybody ever attempted one?
Thinking of it now while clearing out the mill site might help me plan for the thing too.
There is a fellow about a half hour to 45 mins. from me that does nothing but dry wood for people in several kilns. Have not had a chance to speak with him about his operation.
Would it be worth checking into?

D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

Warren

Two Saw,

You might want to check in the Drying and Processing forum.  There are several threads over there about home made vacuum kilns. 

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

LT40HDD51

Have you considered a solar kiln? I've heard rumors of plans floating on the 'net, and WM has one. Not as fast as a vacu kiln, but almost free energy, and cheap, so maybe more than one?... A friend of mine had one and loved it. Check eBay, too. I saw a WM vacu kiln on there the other day...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

WkndCutter

Take a look in the drying and processing side of the house.  There was a thread a little while back of a kiln that used an old window air conditioner.  There are many plans on the forum, check them out.  What you use will depend on your situation, energy available and how much time you have to dry your wood.  I'm thinking along the lines of a solar kiln with an air conditioner and fans to circulate the air inside.  When I get it finished I'll post with pictures.  Good luck. 

Joel Eisner

I have a 1000+ BF solar kiln that will get wood down to 6-8% in about 6 weeks.  We are loacated in NC.  To get things done in that time frame I need to air dry the wood for a couple of months if it is going to be done in the winter but we did a load of SYP for flooring straight off the mill (green) last April  and it was ready to go a little over 6 weeks later.  It is similar to the design found on Woodweb and was adapted from old Wood magazine plans that came with my Norwood Lumbermate.  It would be ideal to have multiple 1000 BF kilns side by side that could be used for storage of dry lumber in addition to regular kiln use. 

The only problem is not being able to get to 160 to 180 deg temp for 48 hrs or more.  I think I have hit 140+ but that was in the spring.

The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

pineywoods

Joel I have a solar kiln similar to yours. My thermometer tops out at 160 deg and the temp inside the kiln goes above that even on hazy days. Something you might consider trying.. Get yourself some old discarded corrugated metal roofing. (down here we call it roofing tin)
Holes, rust etc don't matter. Paint it flat black. Fasten it to the BOTTOM of the rafters supporting your plastic film. Leave some clearance at the top and bottom ends so air can circulate both above and below the tin, otherwise you gona melt your plastic film. Cheap, simple, and it makes a world of difference. I also put a small room de-humidifier inside mine, it speeds up the drying even more, sometimes too much for hardwoods. My fan circulates the air in the opposite direction from yours, don't know if that would make any difference.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Gary_B

I built a solar kiln last winter, and followed all the guidelines for a solar kiln, the one I built holds around 800 bd ft. and usally from late May to Octocer I can process lumber down to 8%mc in a months time. I used plenty of insulation, to keep the temperatures up. I try and air dry first for a few months to speed things up. I use all my lumber for home projects in the shop so it drys more than enough material I can use in a years time.

Thank You Sponsors!