iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleeper Cutters

Started by Meadows Miller, February 14, 2011, 05:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

I thought You all would like this  ;)  ;D This is how My Great Grandfather started out My Grandfather did it for afew years  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) then he went mechanical  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D  ;D 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X97t2QgWzU

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

Thanks Chris,I've cut good sized trees with a crosscut saw it taint fun,thats a hard way to make a buck.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

weisyboy

great vid mate.

glad we dont have to do it the way our grandads did.

iv got a few adzes and a half size broad axe that belonged to my graddad.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im glad you boys like it  ;) ;D ;D

Carl I think Pappa gave his to one of his workers that collected that sort of stuff Like he said I had no use for it  ;) It would have been cool to have them  :) ;D but I got the Meadows Mill  ;) :D that put a bee under a couple of my uncles bonnets I reckon "What Did You Buy That For " Its gonna make Me a good living when its going Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) plus it and the turner only set me back a grand and the turners brand spankin new  :) the carriage has only done 18 months then they got the auto so she aint wore in yet in the scheme of things also   :) :)

Regards Chris

Chuck White

That is a nice video, Chris.

Thank you for posting it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Thanks Chris
Great to see the past documented for some recollection how much things have changed.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

houtwurm

homemade bandmill
stihl ms 441
case 5130 with alo quicke q690 us loader
homemade sawbench

sigidi

Wow! :o ya never think of stuff like that hey? imagine how many sleeper cutters it took to put in a kilometre of track!

Good onya chris 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Meadows Miller

It was a hard life of a Timber getter and Sleeper Cutter for sure back then But a good one I would think Mate  ;) ;D 8) two pound a day was Big money too in the 40s and 50s   ;) ;D

I never thought Aussie's where lacking anything  :o :) You think We are lacking in culture Al  ???  :) :P  ;) :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris

sawmillsi

Awesome!

Makes me ral proud to be an aussie

weisyboy

havent seen you on before mate.

wer  been hidin.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Wrangler55

I've still got my Grandfather's crosscut saw.  I was 15 in 1966 when we moved from the city to the country and switched from electric heat to a furnace and fireplace! That Summer my dad handed me an axe, a crosscut saw and a bow saw.  Chainsaws were too expensive when you've got a 15 year old who can be motivated.  I asked him what they were for and he pointed to our woods and said: "Winter is going to be cold, if we get low on firewood and I get cold, your butt is going to hurt!" We never ran out of firewood.  It didn't take long to find out what trees split easy and which ones didn't.

Now that I'm older 'n dirt, I'm back in a farm house and the electric bill would be $500 a month using electric heat alone.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Jerry

In this country or where I grew up we called them cross ties. Ihave witnessed my father cut down trees and chop ties with nothing but a choping axe and a broad axe. He also cut and peeled poles used for telephone and light poles. When he was in his 70s he was asked by a neighbor to hue a beam for his house he was building and he did it. I still have his axes.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

mad murdock

I learned from an old sawfiler how to sharpen and care for the old saws, now I have 3 of them.  I am teaching my boys how to use the old tools.  A well cared for quality tool is a real asset, and knowing how to properly use it is a skill that is worth passing on to the next generation.  Thanks for sharing that vid.  Very nice, indeed! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ErikC

Pretty neat video Chris. I have learned to keep those up as well, and have a couple of them I use in wilderness areas. When possible I prefer the chainsaw though. :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sigidi

Quote from: sawmillsi on February 15, 2011, 05:01:35 AM
Awesome!

Makes me ral proud to be an aussie

Hey Simon, what you been up to? last I knew you where heading off to Angola I seem to recall?
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!