iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 22, 2015, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: PAmizerman on May 01, 2018, 11:01:28 PM
Terrific
Just curious how many hours you put in to get 2600 ft? Did you have a helper? Do you run an edger? What dimensions of lumber?
Just curious because I have the same exact mill as you and busted my but the other day to get 1200 feet done in 8 hours
What can I do better?

Looks like you are quoting me from  my OP above May 2015.    Repeat customer, one helper, ready logs, excavator to replenish log pile, sometimes I step in with heavy waste slab but mostly saw and tend to mill. Might help with rolling on the next log.   Full size dimensional lumber, 2x6 2x4 and 1x10,  looked back at my notes, 2609 bf actual lumber count.  No edger.  Looked at my invoice 9.4 hours charged, I mark my time from arrival to departure less breaks/down time.

By coincidence, I am going there today and need to get on the road in 10 minutes.  :D

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

With a couple of tailmen and an edger, there's really no reason you couldn't put out 3,000 bf in a day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

With a steady stream of logs to the mill and a couple of tailers I usually put up just shy of 2500 feet in a day, I have not had the chance to run a full day yet with help and the edger to see how much of a difference that will make.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

paul case

On our '13 LT 40 shd e25 my son Scott working alone can easily saw out 120 3x4-10' cants and some 4/4 lumber from the sides in 7 hours.  I think it works out to be about 1500 ft. using the dragback and banding and moving slabs, lumber and loading logs 4 at a time. I can tell he is doing something. 

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 19, 2018, 05:35:49 AMBy coincidence, I am going there today and need to get on the road in 10 minutes.  

Reporting out, 2632 international pine logs 10-15 ft, 2312 board feet 1x10's and 2x4's.  

Slabbed heavy to get rid of some punky wood and a lot of blue stain.  One helper, logs were staged, 7 hr charged time, 5.5 mill hours.  I used 4 10 degree blades, one of them hit metal early. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Crossroads

I'm bad, I don't typically keep track of board footage since I charge by the hour. Sometimes I scale logs before I start, but typically when I get done chasing the head back and forth at the end of the day. The last thing I want to do is count boards. I've had customers count the boards while I'm tearing the mill down and I'll take note of what they tell me though. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Banjo picker

I am not sawing anything as I had eye surgery last Wednesday, but my mill sawed out a walnut mantle for a guy.  He asked me maybe 6 months ago about doing it.... haven't heard a thing from him then he shows up at the house with a fairly nice log on a trailer.  I can get out and walk as long as I keep my head looking at the ground so I let him unload it off his trailer with my knuckle boom.  I had to coach him as he had never run one before.

Gets back to the house and I'm writing down what he wants and he needs it next week.  At first I said that ain't happening.  But then I thought I would ask my son Bobby if he would cut it for him and he said he would.  So he cut it for him Sunday afternoon and he picked it up yesterday ( Monday)

Bobby hadn't run the mill in 9 or 10 years, but it turned out alright.  I got one more day to keep my head down and then go back to my dr that did the surgery Thursday.  Starting to get a little vision in my right eye.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

KenMac

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 17, 2019, 04:23:36 PM
I am not sawing anything as I had eye surgery last Wednesday, but my mill sawed out a walnut mantle for a guy.  He asked me maybe 6 months ago about doing it.... haven't heard a thing from him then he shows up at the house with a fairly nice log on a trailer.  I can get out and walk as long as I keep my head looking at the ground so I let him unload it off his trailer with my knuckle boom.  I had to coach him as he had never run one before.

Gets back to the house and I'm writing down what he wants and he needs it next week.  At first I said that ain't happening.  But then I thought I would ask my son Bobby if he would cut it for him and he said he would.  So he cut it for him Sunday afternoon and he picked it up yesterday ( Monday)

Bobby hadn't run the mill in 9 or 10 years, but it turned out alright.  I got one more day to keep my head down and then go back to my dr that did the surgery Thursday.  Starting to get a little vision in my right eye.  Banjo
Glad to hear your vision is returning! I pray that all will be good very soon.
BTW, I'm not sawing much that pays!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

sawmilllawyer

Sounds like macular surgery to me. I could be wrong. Anyway do what the Dr. says and get your sight back!
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Southside

Banjo - if that man ran a knuckle boom under those conditions then I would consider hiring him on.  That's one heck of a job interview.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jim_Rogers

I'm not sawing a 6" thick by 18" wide by 64" long with one live edge red oak mantle.
The customer can't see to get it through his head that I don't have a log big enough to make that size piece.
And I don't have any way to move it off the mill once cut, if I did.
I told him of the weight but he doesn't seem to understand this at all.

I've given him the phone number of two other mills with wide cut capabilities but he just keeps calling me.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Nebraska

No big fish here, just couldn't resist taking the picture after the little bull calf was on the ground. Some parts of my job are pretty cool, some aren't,

but I'm still pretty blessed.

Southside

Good looking pair there.  Hard calving? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Banjo picker

Definitely a neat picture f the little man.  My ole man ran a heard 0f 30 brood cows.  Registered black angus with blood lines from Mississippi State University.  Folks came from near and far to get heifers and young bulls for breeding.
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dana Stanley

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 18, 2018, 09:05:50 AM
PAmizerman, I have often wondered about the volumes some of the guys report here too.
If I get 1500 or so of 4/4 in a long (7hr) day for me with a tail man I am doing extremely well.
I dont consider myself either inefficient or lazy.
to get the high volumes I would have to go at a dead run and have everything go perfectly.
One of these days I am going to try an efficiency study on my obviously poor sawing performance.
I must include though that when sawing Hemlock, getting around the shake takes up considerable time, and a lot of kindling and stickers are made.
If I can do what your doing at 81, I will be very happy. If you really want to see efficient watch Linda.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9VWCbHKtg&list=PLFLcYLc7UqWippI2D26Y0lwM8Dvj_u3Fc&index=10&t=0s
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Sixacresand

Today, the first day since May, I won't be milling when it is too hot.  PTL
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Old Greenhorn

Holy cow! That gal sure doesn't need to go to the gym! :D She is a working machine, and the other two fellas are no slouches either. I sure hope they are making good money, they certainly earned it!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I think I have seen videos of her before. That woman is dangerous! She is about to work those other two men to death! :D Her husband could at least get her a longer Logrite to load those heavy logs with though.

One thing to note is there is no wasted motion. With every step she is accomplishing something.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 19, 2019, 08:57:32 AMWith every step she is accomplishing something.
I think she is accomplishing two or three things with every step. Poetry in motion, along with a lot of focus. You can't really teach that, at least not anymore.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

Watching her is like watching a really good waitress at work. Every step is productive whether bringing food, removing dishes, filling tea or water glasses, dropping off tickets, etc. And they have eyes like eagles and the best situational awareness on the planet. They handle multiple tables and know the status of every one of their customers at all times. This lady looks to be the same way whether loading a log, tossing  a knot or edging or slab on the scrap pile, whacking the end off a board, measuring and adjusting the edger then sending flitches in for trimming, etc. And take note how as she slides the boards and flitches off the cant she nonchalantly flips them a few times knocking most of the sawdust off them in the process. Every step produces something of value.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dana Stanley

She has her own Youtube channel devoted to her family mill. The first video I saw of her was astounding, but she has a lot and I didn't have time to look for it this morning. I thought she was in her late 20s, but she is a bit older than that! I tried to show that to my wife, just a suggestion right! She ain't having no part of it. I guess tending to 2 horses is enough. ;D My grandson Joe moved to PA so I'm on my own, until next year when my younger grandson Jaxon is big enough.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Magicman

I believe that video is FF Member, Electric Al's shop with his wife Linda and their son.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

After watching her I got tired and had to take a nap she is one working lady
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dana Stanley on September 19, 2019, 06:25:29 PM
She has her own Youtube channel devoted to her family mill. The first video I saw of her was astounding, but she has a lot and I didn't have time to look for it this morning. I thought she was in her late 20s, but she is a bit older than that! I tried to show that to my wife, just a suggestion right! She ain't having no part of it. I guess tending to 2 horses is enough. ;D My grandson Joe moved to PA so I'm on my own, until next year when my younger grandson Jaxon is big enough.
Dana,

Yeah she may look to be in her late 20's but apparently that is her grown son on the tail end of the project catching the boards off the edger and such. I guess all that hard work keeps her young and vigorous.  :D She is my inspiration but don't tell my wife. ;)
Howard Green

Brad_bb

I knew just from two comments that ya'll were talking about Linda's sawmill (the youtube channel name).  Yeah, I think she could work rings around many of us.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!