iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Two Days Of Data From My Solar Kiln

Started by Pepe_Silvia, February 17, 2020, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

I got my kiln done enough to start taking some data and have some questions as well.  The inside walls have been painted black using APOC 139 Flex-Shield.  The floor will be painted as well once it's all said and done - I'm just trying to avoid the mess and potential stickiness for now.  There was no solar collector.  

Exterior walls are engineered panels.  Framing is 2x4 with R-13 Fiberglass Bat insulation.  Then I put a plastic sheet for a moisture barrier, followed by interior siding using 3/8" decking. 

For the floor, the original trailer supports are in place.  On top of that I put 3/4" treated plywood, then 2x4 runners, again with R-13 insulation, then 1/2" decking.

Roof is single pane using polycarbonate panels.  Based on what I've read here, using a second layer would be advised and is in the plan for the future.

So, what do you think?  How did I do?

Should I both painting the rafters and supports black?  Basically anything that the sun will hit?

Outside temperature reached mid-70s the first day, and got to the 80s the second day, but it was cloudy out.  Inside temperature peaked just under 120F, so about a 45 degree difference.  Is this good?

Any other advice?

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

doc henderson

It looks great.  and I have read the all surfaces would ideally be black if contacted by light to absorb.  great job, and looks portable.  prob. only when empty.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

farmfromkansas

Looks good.  Would like to see the back side to see how you built your door.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Pepe_Silvia

Here's a kind of fuzzy and far away picture.  Let me know if you want to see any specific details.

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

farmfromkansas

That is great.  You will be killing bugs in no time!
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Yes paint them black.  Also add the second covering material.  That will increase the efficiency by over 50%.

The wind will try and lift the cover, so have a protective cover or wind shield that fits over the front joint of the cover.

When there is wood in the kiln, the heat will be used for evaporation, so you will not see much heating inside until the wood is dry...then you have less evaporation so extra heat.  On a hot summer day without lumber inside, open the vents to avoid excessive heat.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!