iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

godawful cold

Started by L. Wakefield, January 07, 2004, 07:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

And it is- first of this winter for us. Going to be -teens or worse, wind chills that make it worse. Makes me glad I'm not up du Canada where it's showing -39 and stuff like that!  It's been great not to have the snow as deep as some years but I am worried for the more tender plants when this chill bites down.

Oh well, perennials are God's way of making me and my money part company in the spring planting frenzy..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

pappy

The Mount Washington Observatory

http://www.mountwashington.org/

Conditions as of Thursday 8:49 p.m. est

Outside Air   -21.6°F
Temperature Windspeed 15 Minute   59 MPH
Gust Wind  68 MPH  
Direction Wind   328° (NW)
Chill   -62°F     NOW Thats cold  :o  :o  :o  :o

On the scanner this afternoon it was -82F (wind chill)  below zero.... looks like it's warming up..... ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

burlman

oh the joys of winter. behind schedule on the new house. so we had to rent a place for the winter. Great place by the waters edge, skating has been great with no snow, and all that rain over the holidays to flood the ice. But now on our seceond cold snap, with a record cold tonight of 36 degrees below 0, celcius. The problem is we have no snow cover to insulate the ground. The heated water line to the lake couldn't keep up, she froze up last night. Shovelled snow off the lake and covered the line up, it finally thawed at supper time. Now the tap in the bathroom froze, as well as the line from the septic tank to the field, so now we can't flush the toilet. Had to make a bonfire on top of the septic tank to thaw the ground enough to dig up the cover, so we can try and steam the pipe tomorrow. I can't wait to move into the new house with my wood fired radiant heat floor. On a cold night like this I'm just going to lay on the floor and pretend I'm on a tropical beach

Keltic

We generally don't have horrible cold, (moderated by the gulf steam), but it's been unpleasant the last week, -15 to -20c and real windy. I came home from from work this morning at 4 and it was -22 out and 22 in, a swing of 44 degrees, the old stove got a severe wood injection!! Cheers, Fred

pappy

The wind blew and the sheet flew and we couldn't see for a day or two !!

Yesterday we had minus 20F and sustained winds around 40 MPH (gusting to 60 mph) with wind chills about minus 57, with the 60 MPH gusts it's minus 62. Frostbite takes five minutes  :o

Right now it's -20F and wind @ 20 MPH with wind chill of -50F

I think I'm gonna head south, the cellar that is,  cause dat's where our wood stove is and bring a cot, sleeping bag, and a book.   :D  Do like the ole Black Bear and hide-brr-Nate. ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

jjmk98k

the cold spell here in PA reminds me of the three years I was stationed in Alaska. So at the same time, I hate the cold but I enjoy the memories it brings back from the deep holes in my brain.

plus, it kills off some of the bug population  8)
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Thank You Sponsors!