iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me Clark skidder

Started by celliott, November 26, 2017, 05:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Both my 666 C9046 series have run straight weight C3 30W oil in the trans since before I owned them. Works well but this is equatorial tropics and that may be heat related and/or give you problems in colder climates.

10W for the hydraulics
DD40 for the Screamin' Demon.

Most Allison and many Clark transmissions of that vintage both had ATF/ red oil as factory spec. All the oil books now show series 3 or better 10W instead. Just as well - I'd hate to have to buy ATF by the 40 gal. drum.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Plankton

Nice looking skidder I run a 664 daily, great machines. I run atf in the transmission works great also helps to have a different color to figure out where the leak is coming from :)

Rotella t 40w is what I run in my detroit though that's what my local auto store has in 5 gal buckets but it semi like it works good.

Allied saystems had manuals for free if you don't have parts manuals

celliott

Well I got the old seal out, and found that the shaft it seals has a slight groove worn in it from an old seal. Probably why it was leaking.

Someone suggested to me a Speedi sleeve. Thoughts?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

I'd like to get something done soon, it can't live in the heated shop for a heck of a lot longer. But now the machine is immobile.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

longtime lurker

yeah ive used them. never had a 100% result but good enough to get her going and keep her going for a while.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

celliott

I figured as much. The proper fix is a new shaft. However this machine will not see full time usage, only maybe 2 days a week. Hopefully the sleeve will slow the leak to a reasonable amount. Before it was a pretty bad leak...
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

longtime lurker

no it should take it up quite well for a while, assuming you have regular wear on the old shaft and not elliptical wear. if the old wear is round it'll seal, if its out of round then its problematic from the start.

In truck terms the speedy sleeve will be perfect for about 10,000 miles, but then it starts to wear and you go right back to where you started with it leaking around the sleeve because that groove in the shaft didnt get there by magic.
Thing is how long does it take you to do that 10k miles? For some thats a couple weeks, for some thats a couple years. But it should buy you time.

Option would be to find a seal with the same outer, smaller inner by not much, and then machine the old shaft down to suit the new seal. Thats a permanant fix until next time too. Much depends on what else wearing is responsible for the shaft wear in the first place.

Fixing old gear to hang together for another 5k hours... sadly I'm too dammed experienced at it

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

celliott

It's not out of round and the groove is very slight so it'll probably be fine. Another 5000 hours? I doubt I'll put that on it. I figured tops probably like 20 hours a week (10 hrs Saturday and Sunday) and it won't be every weekend, it'll take me 6 months or more to put 250 hours on it.
But, I want it ready to go for when I can work and would rather not be wrenching ALL of the time.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

longtime lurker

if its only slight another option is to build it up with weld and machine it back.

And for quick and dirty a bit of liquid metal or araldite works.

celliott

Hmmm....... So, measured the shaft at 2.152", I cannot find a sleeve shaft repair kit that fits that size range. Speed sleeve and sturdi sleeve go from 2.125-2.165, with the closest match being the minimum for the 2.165 sleeve, at 2.162, the 2.125 goes max to 2.130. I know we're talking hundreths of inches, but I'm afraid it's too much either way (spin on the shaft or won't ever fit)
What do you guys think? I need to get this out of the shop...
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

gman98

Wish I could help with the shaft, but I'm no mechanic.  The guy I work for owns 2 Clark skidders, and let me tell you they are as tough as a bag of hammers!  I've worked around the 3 major brand cable skidders (Clark, Deere, timberjack) and the clarks were hands down the best machines.  Even the 664's can handle a hitch of wood that will make you shake.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

North River Energy

Perhaps that shaft has already been turned once to remove a previous groove?
Can you get a number off the seal to verify whether or not it's a stock dimension?

celliott

Old seal is trashed but the new one is an OEM sized seal. I don't think it's been turned before, but who knows with a 40 year old machine that has unknown hours.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

pdxh20

I used Speedi-sleeves on the front & rear diffs as well as the wheel seals on my '75 IH S-8 skidder. They work best when carefully installed after emery polishing any ridges alongside the groove, then after cleaning everything well lay a bead of Loctite 518 on the old shaft to fill the groove and seal any irregularities under the sleeve. Install carefully and wipe away the excess. Let it sit 24hrs before installing the new seal if you have the time, and you'll be good to go for a long time. Be sure to install the new seal with some grease on the lip, and if it's an open seal on one side, pack that with grease. If it's a closed seal on both faces look carefully to see which side faces the liquid (it's stamped).
'56 American crawler crane, Komatsu mini-ex, multiple Stihl saws, '75 IH S-8 cable skidder, 2000 F450 30' bucket truck, '95 Chev 4 x 4 2500 p/u, '05 Sprinter SHC 2500 van

ohiowoodchuck

Can you seat the seal at a different depth. I've done this quote a bit in the industrial side of maintenance, where pumps run 24 hours a day seven days a week. I can usually get three different seal sets before, I need to repair shaft.
Education is the best defense against the media.

GRANITEstateMP

ohiowoodchuck brings up a really good point.  We've got an old Cat 930 loader up on the farm.  My Brother In Law had to "double up" one seal in the driveline that was a bear to get at.  Machine has unknow thousands of hours on it.  When he got in their to replace it, book called for "1", low and behold somebody had been there before and put in two, one more parts run and one more seal, she's going again.  Just a ohiowoodchuck said, it'll move the "sealing point", might be an easy fix if you've got the room to do it???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

celliott

I'm definitely going to go take a look and see if that will work. If it does that'd be awesome.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Ohiowoodchuck, you're awesome  8) thanks alot for the tip. Makes all the sense in the world but I'd have never thought of it.

Got it all back together, ran it around the parking lot and pushed some snowbanks, got the trans fluid hot and checked it\topped it off, ran and went good, shined a flashlight on that new seal, hasn't leaked yet! Granted it's not alot of use, but I would have thought it'd be either good or bad. Here's hoping.

I installed the seal flush with the case of the transmission, made sure the yoke wouldn't rub on the seal, pretty sure I got a full 1-1.5" away from that groove.

The trans filter was a bear to get off! I fought and battled with that, someone had it on there super tight. Might have said a bad word even, but got it eventually...

The ol' clark takes up alot of room in the shop

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

treeslayer2003

my uncle had a D just like that. its about 8" shorter than my B so about as short a clark as you'll find. i think you'll really like that tractor. our 666B is pulling timber daily, has had very little done to it, it just goes and goes.

celliott

That's what everyone says, tough as nails and just keeps going. That's what I'm looking for!

This one is really a C by serial number, if you look close or can see where they painted over the 666C. Not sure why anyone would do that.

I got a job cutting spruce, hopefully by the new year I'll be pulling hitches.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Got 4 newish chains on the Clark, forum member 240b was very kind and hooked me up with a set of double diamond ice chains and I bought a set of ring chains off craigslist that are way ahead of what I had.

Got those on and tight and moved the Skidder to my first job yesterday. Job wasn't too far away from the shop so I ran it a few miles up the dirt road and might have travelled on Rt. 2 for a stretch  ;) sure beats a big bill to trailer it 2 miles up the road but dang was it cold!

Already learned plowing snow with a Skidder is pretty much terrible. Cut and pulled a few trees before it got dark. Looks like no logging for me this weekend, Saturday high of -16, I don't need to cut wood that badly.

Oh, if anyone knows of someone desperate for a set of Skidder chains, I have 2 sets of ring chains 23.1x26, one set should probably be scrapped, but one set is decent, probably 25%. Worth putting on, basically an upgrade over no chains. Just looking to pay it forward after I got the ice chains.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Maine372

i plowed snow with a 664b last winter, that was painful. I did figure out to grab both transmission levers with one hand. low range forward to plow, and high range reverse to back up and try again.

i was cutting weekends and missed one, well in the intervening time we got like 3ft of snow. i was over an hour just getting the landing pushed off.

ohiowoodchuck

Glad it worked for you. It's not perfect but I have used it a lot when time is money, to get out of hours of down time for shaft replacement and keep the products moving.
Education is the best defense against the media.

gman98

Quote from: celliott on January 02, 2018, 07:41:51 PM
Got 4 newish chains on the Clark, forum member 240b was very kind and hooked me up with a set of double diamond ice chains and I bought a set of ring chains off craigslist that are way ahead of what I had.

Got those on and tight and moved the Skidder to my first job yesterday. Job wasn't too far away from the shop so I ran it a few miles up the dirt road and might have travelled on Rt. 2 for a stretch  ;) sure beats a big bill to trailer it 2 miles up the road but dang was it cold!

Already learned plowing snow with a Skidder is pretty much terrible. Cut and pulled a few trees before it got dark. Looks like no logging for me this weekend, Saturday high of -16, I don't need to cut wood that badly.

Oh, if anyone knows of someone desperate for a set of Skidder chains, I have 2 sets of ring chains 23.1x26, one set should probably be scrapped, but one set is decent, probably 25%. Worth putting on, basically an upgrade over no chains. Just looking to pay it forward after I got the ice chains.
celliot, if you are cutting softwood, especially spruce and fir, the cold weather will be your best friend.  No limbing involved, the limbs just shatter off flush with the trunk on the way out of the woods.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Thank You Sponsors!