iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bi metal blades

Started by rhino135, March 31, 2014, 06:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino135

Anyone running the new bi metal blades looking for info, how long do they last (hours of sawing time) or per bft I know a lot depends what kind of wood,how clean the logs are.
Im thinking of getting a box to try don't know if it is worth the cost? Any info would great.

Keith

drobertson

I knew of a guy that used them a few years back, seemed they cost 60-80 bucks ea. not sure on that, I was not that impressed with his production, for 20 bucks a good blade is available from about all suppliers,  even cheaper if you go Kasco, have yet to try the woodmaxx but have heard of great results with them.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

I've used Norwood's bi-metal blade, but only in logs that I knew or strongly suspected had metal in them.  The short answer is yes, I was able to cut through wire, nails, & staples with no noticeable change in the way it cut.  But they did seem to be a little rougher cutting that standard blades, and as drobertson says, they aren't cheap.  In my case it pays off, because I cut some "highly valuable" walnut.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The part of a blade that wears quickly is the teeth.  The metal of the band itself is not especially noteworthy in terms of longevity she used as a tooth material.  So many saw manufacturers use special techniques to harden the teeth (maybe the tip or maybe a little wider area around the tooth) so they will last longer...some use special metal, some carbide tipping, some use heat and quenching, and so on.  So, what is ti worth to have to sharpen less frequently (which also means the blades will last longer)?  If it is a bit concern, a longer blade life might be achieved by cleaning the log well prior to sawing to eliminate stones and other debris.  Dry knots are also hard on teeth, as well as tramp metal, porcelain insulators, casehardened nails, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

dboyt

& bolts...

A few years ago, I hit metal & dug out an axe head.  Customer just looked at me and said "I wondered where I'd left that."
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

bandmiller2

My take on the matter, bi's work well but are expensive, if your cutting valuable logs with hardware and or your paying help, they are probably  worth using. Average Joe muff especially if he sharpens his own bands and cuts decent logs I'd say no. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!