iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How are people setting mill track?

Started by StimW, March 31, 2014, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StimW

Wondering how you are setting up the mill track to be straight?
Are you stringing it or using a level, or?
I am assuming with any longer length there will be some drop/lift on uneven ground.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

36 coupe

I use a 4 foot level.My son checked it with his land level an found it right on.

dgdrls

Built track for set-up or building new track??

String for alignment,  4' or bigger level for level.

DGDrls

47sawdust

Since I own a couple lasers that is my tool of choice.A string line and a 4' level will also get the job done.Running a pair of string lines across the diagonals after levelling will also verify their is no twist.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bandmiller2

Stim, A tight string or wire and level. With a bandmill its up and down that's critical with a circular mill its in and out. Sight along the ways with a good eye and you can find track "out of winde". Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

String & level lengthwise, and level crosswise to make sure there is no twist.  What are you using for a foundation?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hackberry jake

cedar posts set in the ground with holes drilled in the top for a jack screw and washers. A 6x6 white oak beam under each track with holes and washers to accept the jackscrews. Its a little tricky getting everything
Laid out close enough to get the threaded rods in both sides so setting the 6x6 on the cedar posts and then drilling the holes is the easiest way.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!