iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found a new friend

Started by Ernie, May 04, 2005, 05:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

My Fantail

Two weeks ago I was out in the shed and my new friend appeared about a foot from my head and started chirping away at a gear rate of knots. naturally, I started talkiing back to him.  later, when I was in the house, in he came, perched very close and started in with the chatting again.  I shooed him out the door and went off to my office around a few corners and down the hall to logon to the Forum when who should appear sitting on top of the monitor, my new friend.

Every day now for the last two weeks, he has sought me out and carried on a great conversation.  I can be in the office, the bedroom, the living room, out in the shed, down feeding the chickens.  I managed to get some pics of him in the office.

The first 4, I took.  The last one is a proper one from the internet.

Maori legend has it that if a fantail comes into your house, someone is going to die, should I be worried?

I only wish I knew what he was saying.

Isn't Creation marvelous.  God sure  smiley_sun smiley_sun smiley_sun is great
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Doc

Pretty little bird, and he seems to have found a liking to you. Put some seed out for him and see if he keeps coming. You might end up with a bit of a wild pet.

Doc

Ernie

I'd love to be able to do that buy they only eat insects.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Texas Ranger

When my  eldest was about 10 we found a bird in my wifes flower garden singing its little heart out, and hopping around looking for lunch.  My daughter walked over, held her hand out an the bird jumped up on it and sang a opera for her new friend.  Turned out to be a Wilson's Warbler, that the book says has no fear of man, or little girls. 

Critters are neat.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

The fantails usually appear out of the denser forest at the beginning of winter, I think the insects are better out on the farmland / town gardens at that time of year. Or maybe there is just less and they have to come out in the open and hunt them more. They will often shadow a mob of cattle in the winter looking for insects that they stir up. Often we would have a mob of 10 or so fluttering around the cows as we fed out hay. They are neat to watch as they catch small insects on the wing, they never fly in a straight line for more than about 3 ft, allways ducking and diving around. They seem to have no fear of humans and will get so quiet they will land on your hat if you stand still to long.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Doc

Well Ernie, you never know. the little guy may take such a liking to being around you that he keeps on coming and may bring family with him. Sounds like a winner if all they eat is bugs....keep down the pests around your place.

Very pretty little bird, but I am not sure I want one landing on my bald head. besides the clean up duties, the claw marks would not be becoming.

Doc

UNCLEBUCK

Thats a neat little bird Ernie ! I am waiting for the humming birds to arrive here in a few weeks ,they are the only ones I can get close to, last year for the first time I had about 50 orange baltimore orioles fighting to get to the feeders, I wonder if the same birds always come back each year ? 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

bitternut

I found a new friend too. Mine doesn't fly to good though. I have found him twice in my woodpile while splitting wood. Don't know why he likes the wood pile though since it is about 100 yards from the woods. Must have been a long walk with those little legs.

UNCLEBUCK

Hey thats one of them slimey little salamanders !  Thats what they call them in minnesota , salamanders .  It must be cool and wet under your wood pile ?
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ernie

Have you named him yet or is it her?

bitternut

Well Ernie, I don't have a clue whether it is a girl or a boy. I will have to research that to see if it is possible to tell. As for a name I was thinking of calling it LUCKY since it hasn't gotten squished yet from me dumping large blocks of firewood on the pile. They really are not slimy Unclebuck but they do have kind of moist skin. I will have to be careful when I get near the bottom of the pile so as not to injure it if it is still there. Last summer I squished a ring neck snake that was under some loose bark on a block.

Thank You Sponsors!