iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any of you guys coon hunters?

Started by Dan_Shade, January 01, 2006, 03:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I have a coonhound, and wouldn't mind going out and chasing a few around.  gotta get the dog smarted up first, though.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Frank_Pender

No, Dan, I do not have to go hunting for them, as the wife feeds them on the back proch and all I have to get one when she is not around. 8)
Frank Pender

thecfarm

My dog will train them.May have a hard time with the skunks though.I just can't get there in time with my gun when it comes to skunks.He cornered a coon about 4:30 one morning by the garage and the house.I put the light on the coon and all I saw was eyes,teeth and claws.He's only a mutt but he loves to hunt.He having a hard time with the turkeys.He found 4 woodchucks last year and got a little to close to a porcupine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

A friend came by Sat. night with his two dogs and we hunted for a while until it started raining.  He spent more time trying to catch the dogs than hunting. ::) It seems every dog he gets won't come to him. I accused him of beating his dogs, but he said he never does. I use to hunt with my dad a long time ago and we never had trouble getting the dogs to come to us when we wanted to go to the house.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

When I hunted with the local coon hunters, they would either gather their dogs at the tree the coon was treed in, or they would leave the woods, and place a coat of theirs along the road. Next morning they would come by where that coat lay, and the dogs would be curled up beside it. Usually they were too far away to call them or whistle them in.

That coon hunting was a great deal of fun, as we'd stand around and listen to all the old coon hunting stories, interrupted only by a pause to listen for the dogs, followed by an explanation of what they were doin, what hill or valley they were in, or if they were still on the coon trail. Usually would hunt from 7 pm to 3 am, and cover a lot of country.   Great fun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SAW MILLER

I been coonhuntin most of my life and I am 53.My two best dogs died last year and it kinda took the wind outa my sales.I do have a 3 year old gyp which is the last one left out of my old blood line of walkers that I have hunted for years.coon huntin and sawmillin will both get in your blood and yer hooked. :) :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Dan_Shade

you have any tips, or bits of wisdom?

I ordered a training book "walk with wick" which is supposed to be pretty good.  I saw that there's a UKC hunt up the road in 2 weeks, but i heard that guy never calls people back... I guess I should find that out for myself :)

i honestly don't know if I trust my dog to come back if I just turn him loose in the woods at this point.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

I don't coon hunt, but the dogs do.
They came back scratched up and happy yesterday. They've about cleaned out the groundhogs.

This was one morning while I was getting ready for work.

The dogs were taking care of business at the bottom of the tree when the bird decided to come and see what the commotion was about.

Seeing that the coon was in a compromised situation, the bird flew around and talked to the coon while pecking at his rear, driving the coon into the very top of the little tree.

SAW MILLER

One of the best things to do is find someone who will take you along with a good broke dog and that will help to get your dog started.Walk with wick is an exellent book full of training tips.Go to that night hunt and just set back and listen to the  hunters there,you may meet a helpful friend.If you ever come my way I would be glad to take you hunting.As far as getting your dog to come when you call him,you will find the details in your new book.Some dogs will never be called off of a coon track....The main tip is have fun :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Dan_Shade

I'll give the guy a call, probably tomorrow when I get home from work.  i've been busy chasing other things down the past several days..

my dog sure goes nuts after squirrels.  I've got another local lead to chase down too.  problem around here is if you don't know somebody, it's tough to get an in with them....

Thank You Sponsors!