iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best atv for cruising?

Started by TimberJack1986, September 09, 2019, 02:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimberJack1986

Thinking about retiring my 2006 Honda rancher and getting a new wheeler. I'm in south Arkansas and about the only thing open enough to use a wheeler is post thins. I'm wanting something with independent rear suspension, 2wd or 4wd option, automatic trans and power steering. Really want a Honda but still open. Tell me what you use and what you think about it! Thanks!!

SwampDonkey

No recommendation here. Never owned one. But do intend to get a Honda in 3 years. I want something with no belt drive. Not sure of model yet, haven't gotten serious enough. I want to pull an arch. I have lots of trails wide enough for an ATV, just about anywhere. I can always cut out a trail where I need to. I like trails narrow so they shade the ground and keep stuff from growing back.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

I use a Kawaski 650 Prairie and it is a real workhorse. I am on my second body for it as I have rolled it more times than I remember and completely flipped it twice. (Yes, that hurts!) Every time I rolled it back upright and cranked it and rode it home. I pull a log arch up in the woods and bring down logs, maintain my shooting houses, bring deer down off the mountain with it and use it to pull my sawmill from the pasture to the front lot. I have a 5X8 trailer I haul it in then when I get to the destination I unload then hook the trailer to the ATV and use it on more level ground. For steeper work I have a homemade 4X4 cart to haul firewood, tools, etc. that will get between the trees and such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Mine is a 2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS.  I've not had a minute of trouble with it in 9 years - it gets only non ethanol fuel and fuel treatment.  I'm jinxed now.  It's been serviced regularly.  I use it 4 or 5 days a week for a few minutes to several hours.  I pull a 5x8 trailer for various chores.  It has pulled implements to make food plots and has pulled various small trailers around.  And like others I retrieve deer from the woods with it as well as skin deer with it.  My wife and I ride together on the farm and it has plenty of power to get up and down the hills.

I've enjoyed it a lot. Next to my truck and tractor it is as useful as any tool I own.

I believe the towing capacity is 1000#.  It has a CVT/automatic transmission, 2wd and 4wd with front diff lock.  The dealer is not far from me.  That's the main reason I have a Yamaha but I've really not needed the dealer.  At the time it was one of the largest ATVs, but now there are much larger.  

My only complaint is the silly trailer hitch that the dealer stuck on it.  I made a receiver hitch for it.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Ed

Whatever everyone else has aside.....I want an atv that is cool to ride.
Many are not a pleasant ride because of all the plastic shrouding around the engine, it holds the heat in and bakes the inside of your legs.

I would look for the one that is most comfortable for you, no different than car mfgr's, everyone makes a good product or they wouldn't be in business.

On a hot day, I would rather ride my old air cooled Yamaha Warrior over my liquid cooled Polaris. 

Ed

Ljohnsaw

I have a 2012 (IIRC) Yamaha 550 Grizzly with EPS and full diff lock.  Both came in handy when I used it to back fill my 500' of septic line pushing a snow plow.  The full independent suspension is a bit squishy and squats down when the tongue weight is 150# or more.  Plenty of power and I've had it up to about 50mph (not recommended!)  Only rolled it once (jumping clear).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

celliott

We have two can am 6x6's and a number of 4 wheelers. 
I'm not impressed with the 450 outlander 2 seat. What a rough ride and no clearance. Although we get spoiled with the 6x6, they are so smooth and much more capable than a 4 wheel machine. Just lack in tight turning manuverability.
6x6 will go places atvs just shouldn't, and with a load.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

florida

We have a 2014 Rancher, an 06 Foreman, an 06 CanAm and about a year ago I bought myself a Honda  Rubicon. My son, my SIL and I all ride them and use them for hauling trailers, pulling out stuck Atv's, etc. The Hondas all have drive shafts, the CanAm has belt drive. Never, ever, has anyone gone to pull someone who is stuck out with the CanAm. I like the CanAm but it's the one we give to inexperienced drivers to learn on. My favoritr to drive is the Rancher but I spend 90% of my time on my Rubicon and I ride a lot. It's a great Atv that I would buy again tomorrow. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Texas Ranger

I started out with a Yamaha three wheeler and then a Bear, then went to shanks mare.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

nativewolf

Stand up.  Look down.  :D  Best cruising equipment ever.
Liking Walnut

sawguy21

I don't own one but have put lots of miles under them. I much prefer 2wd only, lighter, sharper turning radius and easier to manoevre. If 4wd is required I don't need to go there. I did manage to dump one once, just missed having it munch my leg.
A word of caution. Stay away from the cheap clones, they are absolute junk and parts are very difficult to source.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

polaris. if it would work for you the mid size ranger is 55" wide.    so 5 " wider than a atv. with that you get a dump body

Thank You Sponsors!