iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

btw get blue ox

Started by woodmills1, August 29, 2007, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

So James, how do you like your Blue Ox?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Quote from: woodmills1 on August 29, 2007, 10:03:27 PM
title says it all :D

Not to me, I need to have things spelled out better. Really. I got no clue. smiley_tom_dizzy02
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

by   the   way    the   blue oxen bea payin da bills
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bkellyvtme

How much can the Big Blue Ox carry in board ft? Are people using it in cleanup application or using it in small (hobby) logging? I have been toying around with the idea, but it is alot of money for something to not be making any revenue. It looks like it is an awesome trailer for sure. My wife doesn't appreciate the beauty of it. :D

woodmills1

between 1100 and 2000 if right logs and I take tha tailgate off and load the truck.  It is way more than hobby and it is earnin its keep.

Dave Shepard

What are you pulling it with? The smaller ones make sense, but it would seem with the big one you need a Class A rig, so you might as well get a tri axle, but maybe there is a different view I am not seeing.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodmills1

pulling the little ox with a 3500 chevy  a 4500 or 5500 would be needed for the big ox and yes cdl.   with mine 11,500 truck and 14,000 trailer gives 25,500.

Rick Alger

Sounds good.

Have you figured your cost per mile?

bkellyvtme

I am looking at the Big Ox. I have an F-350 and It has an oversized transmission cooler, and I beefed up the transmission, added another set of springs, dropped the ratio in front and rear, chip and programer. I think I will not have a problem w/ the BIg Ox 5th wheel. What do you think? ??? I will not be pulling long distances.

Dan_Shade

do you fellas have DOT numbers?  I've always kind of been kind of hesitant to go down this path due to weight problems and DOT issues.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine just got his DOT numbers, took half an hour online. He hasn't had his inspection yet though. Thant won't be so fun. >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bkellyvtme

I have mine. My F-350  is registered for 28k. I also have a class A CDL, but they will not cut you any slack if you are pulled over by DOT. I had to have all the reflective triangles, all lights were checked, but since I am local I did not need a log book. They also checked me to see if I had the equipment I was hauling was tied down correctly. They are starting to crack down on the weekend warriors that have one tons hauling mowers, tractors, and such.

solodan

If you have to get dot numbers and a cdl, then why not just buy a used short logger with a self loader ???  You can get a ten wheller with an older loader that will pick up those 8000# logs at a 1/3 of the price. You are also way shorter than a 1 ton with a fifth wheel. I really like the idea of a trailer, but it is real easy to be over the combined weight limit. Out here you don't need a cdl under combined weight of 26000lbs, but you need a class a for a trailer over 10000lbs. :-\

bkellyvtme

I hear ya on the bigger truck w/ a loader. Well the 350 is all paid for w/ only 38k miles on it. I use it to haul equipment anyways. I don't want another truck in the yard, and some of the people I deal with don't like big equipment. Repairs are cheaper too. If I need a big one, there are enough around to hire. I used to be an owner operator and I know what it can be like owning a truck. Not fun at all. I'll stick w/ the small stuff.

woodmills1

I would say stick to the lil ox with a f350  its is not so much the hauling but the stopping that I think will be the limit.  You got hills where you live???? :o

bkellyvtme

We have a few hills. None that would scare me. I am looking at the engine brakes they make for my truck. Pretty cool. Just like a Jake Brake.

Dave Shepard

I have a Jacobs Exhaust brake on my Cummins, works very well. Got 125K out of the front brakes, and the rears have 165k and I haven't even checked them yet.

Dave

woodmills1

do exhaust brakes work on autaomatic transmission trucks?

pineywoods

Quote from: woodmills1 on September 10, 2007, 06:15:20 PM
do exhaust brakes work on autaomatic transmission trucks?

maybe, it depends on the tranny. Mine has an allison transmission that,s computer controlled. the jake brake gets into the tranny computer, locks up the torque converter and inhibits any up-shifting. Works pretty good..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Riles

I've got an aftermarket exhaust brake installed on the F-250 I picked up this weekend. Automatic transmission and all.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Dave Shepard

The new Dodges with the 6.7 Cummins have an integral exhaust brake built into the turbo, supposed to work about 40% better than my 5.9, which is impressive. The new Dodge six speed auto is jake capable, and has regular and towing modes. I have been told that you really want to have a load on when you switch to towing mode. ;)

Dave

urbanlumberinc

Your 350 will have no problems with the big ox.  My buddy has been pulling his with an older, stock F-350, and it'll pull the big ox no prob.  I have pulled it with my 3/4 ton dodge, but it's too much tongue weight for a 3/4 ton rearend.  I will say this, get the best trailer brake controller money can buy - you're gonna put to good use.

blueox

Wow...its been a long time since I've gotten on the forum...Miss you all!!

bkellyvtme...Your F350 will haul the Big Ox 5th wheel just fine! And don't worry about the wife...she will appreciate the Big blue ox once those big GREEN bills come flying in the door!
And of course, as you know, you do need a CDL w/ the Big Ox, which isn't a problem for you, because you have it.

BIG TRUCK  vs   TRAILER w/ LOADER:

1. Registration is more!
2. Insurance is WAY more!
3. Do you have to pay "fuel tax"?
4. Big equipment scare your customers... small equipment low ground compaction!
5. Trailers are more versatile!
6. Low maintenance compare to a truck!

soladan mentions getting an older loader that can pick up 8000# logs. Well...will 6000# of lift be sufficient? If you are dealing w/ monsters bigger than 6000#, you could get one end it, then the other! The Xploader (as in Explosive lift, Excellent construction, Extreme power) well the Xploader lifts 6115 pounds in close next to your trailer and 2225 pounds at 20 feet....

Food for thaught, lots of answers to many questions...just have to ask!

Have  a good one.

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

solodan

Thanks Laurel, I knew you would get back to us sooner or later. :D   I agree, the insurance and registration are way more on a short logger, than a trailer.  I think maintenance is there either way though, weather it is  the tractor on the log truck, or the pulling vehicle of the trailer. A big truck may cost more to fix, but a 1 ton is just not as heavy duty. I think trailers are more versitile too in some instances, but a long bed crew cab, pulling a trailer would be immpossible to turn around on some of the really small landings. I think that someone hauling for hire may do better with a short logger and a self loader, but for an operation like I have, a customer may rather see me back a trailer into their yard.  I like the trailer idea, I actually haul my logs on a flat bed, but I am at 46 feet with my truck and trailer. :-\  The lift capacity of the Xploader is more than I thought it was, and for most parts of the country I think this would be able to lift almost everything. However out west we still see the big self loaders still under gunned for some logs. I really like what you guys have going, and the Big Ox with the Xploader is on my wish list. If you guys want to give me one to try out on these really big logs I will be happy to give it a try. ;D

woodmills1

using the trailer dump has many benifits from my viewpoint.  versatile it is, still have the ability to haul stuff inside the dump, like firewood or dirt and chips.  The insurance and maintainence are way less and the trailer can double as a flatbed hauler.  the combo just makes much more sense.  Just think with a big ox and say a 5500 chevy with a 16 foot bed you could haul the same as a log truck and still have the dump to drive around when needed.  think about it.

Thank You Sponsors!