iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooring

Started by uplander, June 23, 2014, 02:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

I was having a discussion with a friend. I recently put down nearly 1300 square feet of flooring in a new house I constructed. I purchased the flooring from a well known distributor and finished it myself.
It looks great.

He asked me why I did not mill it and manufacture it my self since he knows I have the knowledge and equipment to do so. I replied that I thought it would take too long to get to the proper moister content.
I think that without a kiln I would have to put it in the barn loft for 6 months and then put it in the house stickered for about 4 years and then resaw it and run it on my shaper.
It was red oak flooring by the way. sitting in the house I think it would take 4 years to get equilibrium.

Uplander

What does the group here think?
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

ely

I don't think it takes that long, I do not have a moisture meter, but I have built a lot things off my mill, and I dry in a shed for anywhere from 20 years down to a few months and I haven't really noticed anything moving to the point of ruin.
I do have a bathroom door that gets a little sticky at the bottom corner from time to time. and I sawed a bunch of red oak that a friend made kitchen cabinets from and he had one raised panel door wake him up one night when it came apart. they remade that door and it is fine now. they only air dried that red oak for about 4 months and then inside A/C for about 6 months.

beenthere

Stickered in the house with heat on in the winter, and AC on in the summer to keep RH down, should not take 4 years. IMO

But combination of heat and relative humidity is what will determine the drying rate and the equilibrium moisture content over time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I stickered some air dried red oak in my house, planed to 13/16".  It was 13.5% moisture.  I checked the moisture content every few days with a Wagner MMC210 pinless moisture meter and wrote the reading on the top boards.  It was in the house from Mid-March to late August, essentially over the summer.  In four weeks, the moisture content went from 13.5% to 9.5%, and that is where it stayed.  It will not take anywhere near four years in most modern houses. If it goes in the house air dried, and if it is stickered and not flat stacked,  it should only take a few months, not years.

Moisture meters are your friend.  There is a common belief that it takes wood a year to the inch of thickness to air dry.  This might be the case in some places, but not here.  No reason to guess if you use a lot of wood.  Buying a good moisture meter can be a good investment.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

When I built my house I air dried red oak for one spring/summer.  In August I stacked about 3,000 board foot of red oak in the completed garage of the new house.  My kiln was a big dehumidifier and a couple of fans seen here.

I ran my kiln with this highly sophisticated instrument from Radio Shack.

I monitored drying progress with this.

The lumber dried from  the air dry condition of 14-15% to 10-11% in three or four weeks.  At that time I started running casing and baseboards through the molder.  When I got done with doing that, the wood in my "kiln" was down to 9-10% and I built all the cabinets.  When I was done with cabinets the the little bit of wood left in the kiln was a solid 8%.  I could have did the 1,600 or so feet of hardwood floors but I let the experts do it.  The way I work it would have added another 6 months to the house build and Kathy was.....wanting to get moved in. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Very similar results to what I got. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ET

You make this drying process sound much less problematic as Im anticipating. They are starting today with putting in my concrete floor in my new barn build. Getting a kiln going will be one of my first projects. I like hearing success stories such as this one. I know each species is different but this thread has given me a better insight into drying. Tks!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

WDH

Once oak is air dried, you can hammer it pretty hard to get down to the final M%.  Takes a bunch of the risk away. 

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on June 24, 2014, 07:34:06 AM
Once oak is air dried, you can hammer it pretty hard to get down to the final M%.  Takes a bunch of the risk away.

???   smiley_smash smiley_smash smiley_smash
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Hammer = Run The Kiln Maxed Out  :).

jim blodgett

When I saw that lumber stacked and stickered in Larry's garage, then read ET say he was having his new slab poured, I was reminded how much moisture concrete
releases as it cures.  In which direction(s) it's released varries, depending on insulating/moisture control techniques used.

It's worth considering if you intend to use a freshly poured slab in an enclosed building to dry wood on, is all I'm saying.

ET

I also had 1ft vented overhang all the way around and a vented ridge. Just won a Wagner moisture meter at the pigroast today and cant wait to start using it. Ive never had one before. Still learning!  Got another 150 miles to get home. Left party 2 hrs ago had a wonderful time
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!