iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tax Suggestions

Started by BlaBla, February 05, 2005, 09:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

My family owns about 9 acres in the middle of town. The taxes are really getting to be a burden, about $2000 a  year. The property is covered in trees, about 5 acres heavily forested. Do you all know of any way, legal way, to drop the taxes on this? I know that Kansas has a law that any woodlot over 10 acres is agricultural, and any hay field over 5 acres is agricultural which drastically drops taxes, but I can't get by this. Any suggestions on where to look for a...loophole?

MemphisLogger

Put a conservation easement on it that says it will never be subdivided for development and go back to the assessor for a new assessment. Not being developable will lower its taxable value.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

BlaBla

The whole conservation easement idea is cool. I'd really like to contribute to preserving land, but I don't like the idea of committing so much, yet.

Any other ideas?

Quartlow

clean off 5 acres and let some farmer turn it into a hay field
Only idea I have. Thats better than a loophole since those can sometimes end up being closed, sometimes around your neck!! :o
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

DanG

It will also reduce the real value, drastically!  In other words it would become virtually worthless. 

$2000 annually on 9 acres of downtown property sounds pretty gentle to me.  If ya can't afford the taxes, maybe you should sell. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

BW_Williams

Sounds like a good town park to me,  sell it to the town and retain the timber rights?  Good luck, BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

J_T

Goate's like a lot of tree's in their pasture . ;D One eletric fence heard goats lower the tax sell the goates ;D Or sheep ???
Jim Holloway

Quartlow

Quote from: DanG on February 05, 2005, 11:09:00 PM
It will also reduce the real value, drastically!  In other words it would become virtually worthless. 

In the middle of town I doubt it would have a significant impact the value of the property. If it was out in the sticks I would agree with you. Besides if you rent the field to a farmer your making a little off of it. ground around here rents for about $30 an acre. I realize $150 a year isn't much but its better than nothing.

The value of this property is its location. Chances are if you sold to a developer it would be clearcut anyway.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!