iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any suggestions

Started by jdw, April 24, 2015, 11:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw

I took my band mill to a logging site to cut cross ties but due to the mud on the logs I started pressure washing them. But after I started to wash the the saw dust started sticking to the band blade then it was running under my guides causing me to cut out of square. Is there a way to keep the dust from building up and sticking to the blade?  :embarassed:

pineywoods

Yep, so called "blade lube" ain't really for lubricating the blade, main purpose is to keep the blade clean. I use water with dish soap. In extreeme cases, may be necessary to use a small amount of diesel. I don't see how blade buildup can cause "out of square". Waves, yes..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ocklawahaboy

Is it building up more on one roller guide than the other?  I can see that causing you to be out of square.

jdw

I guess what is happining  is when the blade makes a revolution it's real thick when it goes under the first roller guide then it's smashing it as it rolls over it. I had to stop alot yesterday and take my knife and scrap the whole blade and a cut or so later it would be built up again. I've heard dish soap or pinesol  works just wanted input. But I wasn't running the blade lube after I changed the blade and I was cutting hickory and maple no soft wood.

Magicman

Any of it will build up, including hardwood.  I use my liquid Cascade/water mix with everything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jdw

I have never used anything bit water. But I'm gonna try to use the things recommended here. I have never had this problem before. It started after I pressure washed the logs I figured it was getting to much water.

homesteader1972

X2 on what everybody else said, and I keep a squirt bottle of diesel there to spray it if it gets too bad. I also use the cascade powder, cheaper, and no need to skimp. The more potent, the less of it I have to run, or so it seems to me.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Chuck White

I've never actually used diesel fuel, but I do on occasion use WD-40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. to get rid of any heavy build-up, like when I run into a pitch-pocket.

Takes a couple of revolutions of the band, but it does work.

I wouldn't think that the diesel fuel would take quite so long.

If I had a lot of trouble with pitch build-up, I would think about installing a wiper with diesel.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!