iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New summer Job!

Started by celliott, July 03, 2013, 02:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

Get to start my new summer job on Monday- I'll be cruising timber for the company Landvest. I'll be working in the Pittsburg NH, Connecticut lakes region of Northern NH. It's only a seasonal job, but it's a start. Hopefully if I do well, it will lead to more part time work and eventually perhaps full time employment.
It was a pleasant surprise to get this job after I finished school at Paul Smiths this spring. I came home, looking for work, and found nothing. Not just looking for a job in my field of Forestry, but nothing at all. Eventually, I was able to start working at my old summer job again once they got busy, which helped my lack of cash. But, I got in touch with an old contact, who was on my Eagle Scout board of review 6 years ago. He remembered me, and remembered that we had talked about my considering going to college for forestry. Turned out to be a good contact after all  :)
I'm excited to start- not totally sure how I'll like cruising every day, but hey, gotta try, gotta start somewhere.
BTW, this is why I bought the old 1976 F250 in my other topic, the company wanted me to have a 4WD vehicle.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

clww

Sounds like you are starting off this summer on a high note. 8)
Incidentally, I start my new job next week, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

that's great hope you do well   I too get to start a log job that I have been after for 4 years it got lots of hard maple  cherry  ash  soft maple most is 24 to 30 in dbh if I can learn how to post pic will post some          good luck with you new job 8)

JDeere

celliott, I have cut for Landvest before along the Canadian border in Pittsburg. The forestry guys I worked with were a great bunch of guys and enjoyable to work with. If you work there in the winter you better get a good pair of snow shoes. Have fun-stay safe.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

celliott

Thanks everyone. I know Landvest is a good company, and would be nice to work for full time someday. I'm already liking the Pittsburg area, it's not alot different from the Adirondacks where I went to school, or where I grew up, in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.
I've seen a few shops with logging equipment in the area on my way up. This Landvest job is only until September-ish, so I may see if I can find a logging contractor who would want some help\give me a shot for the winter in the area. I like the snow  :snowball:

JDeere, whereabouts are you located?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

thecfarm

That job sounds good. Can not beat experience.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

Quote from: thecfarm on July 03, 2013, 10:48:28 PM
That job sounds good. Can not beat experience.
Especially when you have little to none. This will help pad my resume quite well.
Sometimes hard to get experience right out of school, hard to get someone to give you that one chance you need. I know plenty, have lots of knowledge, but little practical experience. Makes it tough sometimes.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Ken

A few years back I had a crew doing some inventory work throughout the northeast US.  We did a fair bit of work in the Pittsburg NH area one fall.  This was shortly after the large ice storm in 98 so we had to work through a lot of broken tree tops.  The terrain can be pretty hilly.  I remember seeing several moose every day in the area.   I also remember that it snowed early in October and stayed.  That certainly slowed us down.  Good luck

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WDH

This is good news.  Cruising is how I got my start, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Timbercruiser

thats a good truck you bought very nice. It will help keep the gas industry keep going  :D good luck with your job sounds good to me

Thank You Sponsors!