iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening blades vs shipping blades

Started by Deese, August 20, 2013, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

First--I want to say that before I post a question on here, I do my best to research through old posts for the info I seek :P...the last thing I want to do is bambard the topic board with basic questions that can be answered with a little bit of personal effort...but I've got to ask y'all on your opinion as to what I should do regarding blade maintenance...

As many of you are already aware, I have ordered my mill (EZ Boardwalk JR) along with 20 bands (blades) and it should be here soon. ;D

I realize that extra sharp blades are very important considering the fact that I will be cutting roughly 23 acres of hardwoods (mainly red oak) with a smaller 13hp honda engine. 

I guess I just don't know how quick I'm going to run through these 20 blades before they need resharpening...

If I sent them off for resharpening, I would send 10 blades off at a time, so that I wouldn't ever be without any...
But---If I cut my logs on the weekends and saw Mon-Fri after work, I'm still concerned that I'm going run out of sharpened blades before the other 10 return in the mail.

I see that there are several band saw blade sharpening systems out there. I also understand that I still wouldn't be able to "set" the teeth on the band, but I've been told that you can get 6-8+ sharpenings out of a good quality band before it's no good even without resetting the teeth (not sure if that's the correct terminology).

So here are my questions based upon everything above:

1--Should I consider investing in a band saw sharpening system? I've seen them advertised for around $400 or so...

2--If I plan on sawing for a couple hours each evening Mon-Fri (remember--red oak), should I plan on having more
           than 20 blades on hand at a time if I choose not to sharpen the blades myself?

Basically--I just want to keep the ball rolling once I get started. I can either buy more blades or invest in a sharpening system...

Your thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. I just need some guidance!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Whoops, just found a long discussion about this on the forum.
Sorry for the redundant question---should have searched a little harder before creating this topic :-\

My BAd!!!!
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

samandothers

Thanks for posting the link.  My short memory, I enjoyed refreshing my knowledge on this topic......

Lets see what was the topic?  ::)

ladylake

If you do a lot of sawing get a good sharpener and setter, your checkbook will thank you. Plus you won't run dull blades.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

Something to be said for learning to saw with blades you know are properly sharpened and set, before adding questions about that into the mix.  Also I couldn't see using blades that weren't consistently set.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bibbyman

Here is my opinion anyway.  Send them off to get resharpened.   Twenty should give you plenty in reserve to send off 10 at a time.  But I'd get right on it as soon as you get 10 dull. 

Why do I say send them off?   Because you'll have plenty to deal with just getting the mill up and running and having fun sawing.  Sharpening blades and getting them right is another learning experience you don't need to start with. 

Some sawyers don't think you're really sawing unless you've mastered blade sharpening.  They take pride in tweaking hook angles,  set, and so on.  I'd advise delaying that part of sawing until you have mastered the other aspects.   If you get a blade off in left field your mill won't saw right and you may not be able to figure out why.

We visited with Edward Zimmerman at the Old Thrasher's show at Montgomery City last Friday.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

QuoteSorry for the redundant question---should have searched a little harder before creating this topic

That is not "a Bad" on this forum. It is just a good reminder and a good link to a previous discussion. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom the Sawyer

+1 on Bibby's advice, you'll have enough to learn without throwing blade sharpening factors into the mix. 
No amount of sharpening can fix a poorly set blade. 
Blade set problems have caused me a lot more head scratching than dull blades.   smiley_headscratch
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Migal

JMO 20 is a good number of blades to start with do not get discouraged if a few end up hanging on a fence post as a reminder what not to do  :D and yes let the pro's sharpen your blades just look at MagicMan as a role model for getting lumber made although there are plenty of other's that come to mind and all are great folk's.  8) 8) 8) Have a great time making your own lumber! Warning it is addicting  ;D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

LeeB

I suggest you might want to get 10 more blades fairly soon. I know I trashed a few when I started out. Heck, I still trash one now and then.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

customsawyer

Learn how to saw then learn how to sharpen. Two totally different things. JMOP.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Your 20 blades will be OK.  I have been sawing for 12 years with 20 blades, you just have to send off the box of ten for resharp pronto like Bibbyman said.  You are not likely to saw enough volume starting out for the first few years to warrant the investment in a proper re-sharpening set-up.  Let the pros resharpen for you.  I use Woodmizer Re-sharp.  It is about a 5 - 7 day turn-around from the day you ship till the re-sharpened blades come home.  You would have to have sawn 5000 to 6000 BF in the meantime to use up your other 10 blades, and that is not likely to happen very often at all unless you are doing a whack of custom sawing. 

The other good thing about Woodmizer Re-sharp is that they replace any damaged blades that cannot be re-sharpened with new blades, so you will always have 20 good blades to work with.  You might look into running Woodmizer blades and use their re-sharp program for blades on your EZ-Boardwalk mill.  They are fast and the re-sharp quality is excellent.  It is one less thing that you have to worry about. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I highly recommend Wood-mizers RE-SHARP service. I send my to Georgia. They do an excellent job!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hamish

Guess it all depends upon where you are.  Woodmizer in Canada doesn't have a re-sharp program, and the usual cost for a sharpening is at a professional shop locally is $17 (delivered) for a 12' band.  Dependant upon the band, new can be had for $20 to $40, one really has to do the math.

As a part time/self sawyer at 20k BF/yr and the oops factor I sharpen myself, and set myself.

Get a lot more mileage out of your equipment if you have the time, but if you have the money, run em till dull, ship em to me and buy yourself new ones.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

fat olde elf

I basically agree with Jake and WDH (and others) What brand of bands does EZ Boardwalk sell? If they are from Woodmizer then Woodmizer will resharpen them. I understand WM will not sharpen other brands. Cooks will resharpen most brands and they are close to you, near Dothan. Jake is absolutely right about sawing and sharpening being 2 different deals. I got into sharpening because I am so frugal (some say cheap)  I do sharpen for others on a small scale to earn fishing money..........I also enjoy nitpicky work........Say your prayers 
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

I use WM Resharp because when I am not sawing I value my time off more than the money spent on resharpening blades.  But as I stated in the posted link; It is a personal decision that each of us make for our own various reasons.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

QuoteWhat brand of bands does EZ Boardwalk sell?

http://timberwolfblades.com/

Let me go ahead and tell y'all that this forum is not only one of the most resourceful places on the web, but the people seem to be 100% genuine as well...

Many, many thanks new companions---I appreciate you and will join in the efforts to assist others once I gain experience of my own...lord help me  :D
Cooks AE4P Edger

Migal

I really like that last line I live by it daily  :)
lord help me
Mine is a bit different and my grandfather said it all the time
"The Good Lord Willing and The Creek Don't Rise"
From the full moon the other night I'm thinking we are still 10-15 days from getting any rain to amount in my area so I don't imagine the Creek is rising any time soon here.
P.S. He liked to say that when we cut hay and left it air dry for three day's But it still sticks with Me so Remember the Little one's don't forget anything LOL
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

dboyt

Check around for a local shop to do the work.  It could save a lot of shipping.  Other sawmills in your area might be able to point you in the right direction.  Most sawyers are glad to give information and opinions, as long as it doesn't involve revealing who their customers are!  Your state Forest Products Association may be able to give you some leads.  By the way, just about any blade manufacture will cut blades to whatever length you need.  To complicate things, consider having some blades with a 4 degree hook angle for the harder woods.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ladylake

Again.    If your going to saw a lot get a sharpener, I make more money per hour sharpening than I do sawing plus very little expense sharpening, plus you don't run dull blades which means better blade life.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bibbyman

Quote from: ladylake on August 21, 2013, 03:24:44 PM

Again.    If your going to saw a lot get a sharpener, I make more money per hour sharpening than I do sawing plus very little expense sharpening, plus you don't run dull blades which means better blade life.  Steve

I can make far more money saving than I can sharpening.   It's always "grinding" (pardon the pun) on my mind while I'm sharpening blades.   But if you have some time when you can't be sawing for some reason,  then I feel I've saved money by sharpening our own blades.  Money making? No. Money saving?  Maybe. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ladylake

I make about $60 a hour sharpening, sawing can be more or less depending on what I'm sawing.  Also while I'm waiting for the sharpener to go around I do other things like chainsaw maintance, sharpening .etc.  I cut hard wood most times and can dull a blade up in 2 hours so 4 to 6 blades a day would cost a lot to send out.   Steve

NMFP

I have found,sharpening tends to make a far better return for the investment than does sawing but yet, I am doing both.  400 bands a month is alot when you think about it but, there are some weekends that it is not un comon for me to run 70-80 bands through in a 10 hour day.  I find this as a better money making adventure than sawing, especially when I am dealing with shakey hemlock, windthrown pine, twisted red oak  and whatever else I find that I end up sawing for people.

Done get me wrong, sawing is where I love to be but when it comes to the bottom dollar, sharpening is where my true "business" income comes from.

My advice as a new sawyer, master sawing first and determine if sawing is correct for you and if so, how much time do you have to sharpen?  Some, none or a lot.  Business changes and evolves over time so what you do today, may not be what you do in the future.

Take Bibbys advice, send them out and master sawing first.  You wont regret it.

Thank You Sponsors!