iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting wet wood

Started by outdoortype, April 23, 2005, 02:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoortype

Does it hurt anything to cut wood when it has been rained on?  I drug some red oaks out that had blown over a few months ago.  I want to cut them tomorrow but it has rained the last two days.  I went down today to check my chain sharpness and made a few cuts with no problems.  The bar got a little hot, but it seem to cut just as fast as when dry.

beenthere

Doesn't hurt a bit.

Only the surface got wet from the rain.  Saw away.

I'd be concerned if the bar got 'hot' and try to find the cause of that.
Oiler?
wrong chain for the bar?   
teeth not sharp? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishhuntcutwood

I agree.  No problem cutting wet wood.  And was the bar scorching hot, or just hot to the touch?  Hot bars and chains aren't  always bad.  It depends on how hot it got.  That's why chain will stretch when you've cut with it for a while.  It gets warm, expands, and you have retension it.  Just watch it, and if it starts smoking and turning colors on you...well there's a thread on this very forum about that.  Check it out...pictures and everything.

Have at it!!

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

outdoortype

Beenthere, fishhuntcutwood, thanks for the info.  The bar wasn't smoking but it was hot to the touch.  Maybe I noticed it more because this is the first time I've used either saw in 68 degree F outdoor temp?  The chain is correct match, sharp and it cuts well.  I made about 10-12 cuts bucking a 14" red oak.  I checked the oiler using Husky's method of aiming the bar 8"away from the log with
3/4 throttle for a few seconds and I did see a distinct oil pattern spewing on the target surface.  I've noticed the bar get hot on my Stihl 025 as well.  The chain didn't get tighter so I'm wondering if this is normal?

Kevin

The chain will get loose when it gets warm.
You don't want to tighten a warm chain because it will be far too tight when it cools.
Proper chain tension is important to reduce heat and friction which causes wear and damage to both the chain and the bar.
Too loose isn't good either.

StihlDoc

Bar temperatures generally range between 100-130 degrees farenheit when cutting with a sharp chain and proper lubrication. This is hot enough that you won't want to hold it in your bare hands.

rebocardo

I have noticed my Husky 365 bar and chain picks up a lot of heat from the saw. After sawing for four to five hours straight the muffler will set vines on fire when bucking a vine covered log.

Thank You Sponsors!