iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Ray, you are a winner, winner...turkey dinner.
Caveman

Magicman

I have sawed some of today's tree.  I never saw Ben.....

but I am quite fond of his children.  ;D  Clue = popcorn_smiley

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

and a sweet, clear honey
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodpecker52

I am good on skin ailments but please do not eat the fruit as I will kill you says the T-l--W tree.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Don P

Can't hold a candle to that one.

WDH

That one's corn is popped. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

A lot of you got this one.  Chinese Tallow or popcorn tree (Triadica sebifera).  I did not know until recently that Ben Franklin brought it here.
Caveman

caveman

I do not have any really good pictures of today's tree but I will try to give a good description to accompany this picture. 
-Two needles per fascicle, usually 2-4" long
-The cones remain closed until opened by heat (fire)
-This tree has very low fire tolerance
-Grows on poor, well or excessively drained sites
-Cones stay on the tree for many years
-Wood from this tree is used for pulp or to make knotty pine paneling

Caveman

Old Greenhorn

I'd love to throw in on this, but this one doesn't grow around here and I din't know jack about pines.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Texas Ranger

Reminds me of Mr. Daniels

caveman

This tree covers a lot of Ocala National Forest in central Florida.  I recall seeing quite a bit growing in Florida's panhandle as well.  Today's tree is not Jack Pine.  The needles of this one are short but not as short as those of Jack Pine.  It does, like Jack Pine, have serotinous  cones. 
Caveman

Texas Ranger

Well, slashed my answer

Old Greenhorn

The only thing I know about that geography is that there is a lot of SAND and I only know that clausa somebody telling me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Woodpecker52

When I am around them I feel sleepy, It must be the Sandman from them, I do not think it was from his Slashey sister.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

firefighter ontheside

Those that thought they knew this didn't know jack either.  I would have said Jack, except for the southern/Floridian nature of most trees of the day so far.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

I'll try to expand the range on the trees of the day some in the future.  That cone picture with the dark area near the edge has some significance in identifying this one.  WDH showed me that several years ago.
Caveman

ellmoe

I don't believe I have ever seen one grow straight up . It is normal to grow at an angle , all the better to toast the cones! My favorite pine to saw.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

caveman

Sand Pine (Pinus clausa) was 6-12 tree of the day.
Caveman

caveman

I apologize for not showing the other side of this leaf but it has pubescence.  Tree of the day for 6-13.  It can be found in most of the south east of the U.S.
Caveman

Magicman

I didn't know Sand Pine but at least you posted something that I know and have sawn today.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Magicman, but you know Sand Gum! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I have an idea what the tree from this post is.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Woodpecker52

Classic cross shape, post oak

caveman

Y'all got it.  Post Oak or Quercus stelatta.  It is one of the white oaks.
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I didn't know it was post oak right away, but I did know it was white oak.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!