iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer quick connect system

Started by Raider Bill, January 02, 2008, 01:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

So now I have a tractor - kubota L-4200 4wd. I'm almost recovered from it trying to kill me on the last use of the orange monster . So now I'm needing to invest in a skid steer quick connect system for the FEL.
The bucket I have is factory.
Question 1, How does it connect to the FEL? Is it just through the pins?

Question 2, in order to use the bucket I have I'll have to adapt that to the new system how does that connect?

If I have to weld no problem but need to bring one with me.

Is this a smart move and worth it?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scsmith42

Bill, I have the "universal skid steer" attachment system on my big Kioti, and I love it.  The mount on the tractor attaches to the existing pins.  As to your bucket, you'd either need to modify it with the skid steer attachment plate system, or simply pick up a skid steer bucket.  Depending upon which bucket your tractor has, you might want to buy a 4 in 1 bucket for a skid steer and add the plate to yours.

skidsteersolutions.com sells all kinds of adapter plates, etc that you can use as the basis for your solutions.

The main drawback in your instance is that a Kubota L4200 is really a bit small to be using a lot of skid steer attachments.  Skid steers typically have 2X to 4X the amount of hydraulic flow volume as farm type tractors, and although my Kioti has 65HP the hyd flow is only 10GPH, which limits the benefit of the attachments that I can use.  I finally broke down and bought a used JD271 skid steer earlier this year, and it's much superior to the tractor in many ways.  Hyd flow, weight capacity, maneuvering, visibility to your loads - just to name a few.

So, if it were me... rather than spend the $ to convert your tractor, I'd keep my eye open for a good used skid steer.  Somthing in the 80 - 100hp range offers a good balance of strength and size.  I bought mine for 15K; and have seen other late model machines for that mount or less.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Scott,

Did you get a tracked unit? I can't see a wheeled one working well on my red greasy clay.

Dave Shepard

I converted a friends Kubota L3710. We chopped off the pin brackets on the back of the bucket and welded a plate on the back. I would keep the original bucket, you aren't going to be using it again anyway after you get quicktach. ;) Quicktach is just about a must have for anything with a loader, in my opinion.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Handy Andy

You know, a few years ago I bought a new front end loader for my farm tractor, and they had a quick attach attachment.  It doesn't match my skidsteer attachments, but works ok to drop and pick the bucket back up.  Don't need to add anything to the bucket, it just hooks onto the pins, and you just put a kindof washer and a pin over the top hook to keep the bucket from falling off. 
  Have to agree with Scott about getting a skidsteer.  They have a whole different set of tasks from a tractor loader, attachments galore, and you can do much more accurate cutting with the thing as you sit lower and can see what you are doing so much better.  What Scott said about used John Deere skidsteers, for some reason they are cheaper than other brands, don't know why, think they are good machines, but there are more used ones on ebay than other brands.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

jackpine

When I bought my new tractor 3 years ago I was too cheap to spring for the extra $ for the quick-attach system. BIG mistake, as changing from forks to bucket is, at best, a 15 min. job and has been known to take almost 30 >:(.  If you can modify the bucket without too much trouble by all means go to the quick-attach system.

Bill

scsmith42

Bill, mine has tires (rather large one's at that - see below), but most of the places where I operate it are already graveled.

(note- when considering the size of the tires, keep in mind that the log on the front grapple is over 40" in diameter...)

Scott

Brad_S.

I'll bet it was the steel that appears to be in that log that was enough to take it past the tipping point. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Corley5

My Bobcat has made itself a necessity on the farm.  Being able to change between buckets, pallet forks and the hay spear in a couple minutes is awesome.  The only thing better would be one with a power option so you wouldn't have to leave the seat when changing accesories  ;) 8)  My old 300 Farmall has a nice hydraulic loader on it that's inline for a quick tach system so I can use skid steer attachments on it too.  KASCO has a couple options including an adjustable unversal fit version.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gary_C

Scott, just what kind of log is that? Looks like an ironwood with three strikes and a bad heart.  ;D ;D

That's what I do not like about skidsteers. It's too hard to keep all four wheels on the ground.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Raider Bill

I've rented a tracked bobcat for clearing woods and making trails. I am amazed how much power it has. Can't see my 43HP 4wd coming even close to being able to do what I've been able to with the bobcat.

Scott,

How about you adopt me so I can come play with your toys! :D

ely

thats the good thing with a skid steer, you can always tell when you have too much of a load. that way you never find yourself in trouble ::)

John_Haylow

Bill.
I had the QA system installed on my Kubota L3650 with a L650 loader on it.It mounts on the lift arms and the two cylinder ends.I went with the skid steer style plate. They then modified my bucket to fit, and I purchased a new set of forks from them as well.It works really slick.

If you would like I can take a picture of it for you.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

scsmith42

Brad - Gary - Bill -  ;D

One nice thing about a swingmill - just put the metal towards the bottom and mill the rest!

johnjbc

I didn't order my Kubota L48 with Quick Attach so I added it later. The dealer ordered me a couple adaptor plates to weld on to attachments to make them compatible. Put one on the loader and one a pair of forks. The only down side is you lose a little lift. About a couple hundred for the adapter and plate and it moves the bucket out a couple inches.
It hasn't been a problem as my loader will lift 3000 lb. but on smaller tractors it is a bigger percentage loss.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Raider Bill

Quote from: John_Haylow on January 03, 2008, 03:56:14 PM
Bill.
I had the QA system installed on my Kubota L3650 with a L650 loader on it.It mounts on the lift arms and the two cylinder ends.I went with the skid steer style plate. They then modified my bucket to fit, and I purchased a new set of forks from them as well.It works really slick.

If you would like I can take a picture of it for you.

John

Thanks that would help. You can pm them to me if you don't want to post them.

ElectricAl

Scott,

Nice ride 8)

See if you can locate a weight kit. It's worth the money.

You just cant beat a John Deere Skidsteer with a Grapple ;)

Handy Andy,
Maybe the reason there are so many used John Deere Skidsteers on EBay is they want to step up to the new 300 series John Deere Skidsteers
We traded a 250 for a 320 a year ago ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

scsmith42

Al, thanks for the advice re the weight kit - I'll keep my eyes open.  Nice 250 by the way!

Scott

Thank You Sponsors!