iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Saw

Started by Rob, November 23, 2002, 01:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

How do all of you store your saws for the winter?I'm planning on putting one of my saws away for the next 3-4 months I'm just looking for some good tips..

Thanks Rob.

Tom

I just drain the radiator and throw it in the back of the pickup. :D

Kevin

All I do is empty the gas tank,start and run the saw until it quits, pull the plug and put a little 2 cycle oil into the cylinder, pull the starter cord a couple of times easy then replace the plug.
Empty the chain oil also.

Ron Scott

Put some Stabil fluid in the gas tank and run the saw a little bit.
~Ron

DonT

Put them away?I am just getting them out.Seriously though I usually use the same routine that Kevin suggested.Seems to work for me.  DonT

Rob

Thanks guys keep the info coming,I see alot of people run them dry and I also see that people leave them full I guess it's all preference..

Thanks Rob.

Rob

Another question for ya I just got finished cleaning one of my saws and I pulled the plug out and for some reason it's wet,could this be from a mis adjusted carb or excessive idling??If so how can I fix it?

Thanks Again Rob.

Kevin

Rob,
Does the chain turn when the saw is at idle?

Rob

Rob

It seems like it's loading up at idle a little bit like if I stand the saw on the bar tip with the brake on of course and hold it there it will only idle for maybe 8-10 seconds before it dies.Do you think the Low speed needle could be set a little too rich??

Thanks Rob

Kevin

I have a tach, if it was my saw I would start the adjustments from the closed position then open them up and fine tune them with the tach.
If you don`t have a tach I would suggest you take it to your dealer for a tune up but make sure the air filter is clean before hand.

Rob

The saw is only about a month or two old it's a 385 Husky.I don't have a tach but I could get one,where is a good place to start from with the screws how many turns from closed to begin with roughly??

Thanks Rob

Kevin

Rob;
Check your manual, it should be in there.
Usually the dealer will tune it for free after the initial break in.

Ron Scott

Rob,

It sounds like you probably need the dealer's initial tune up after " break in period". I have a new Husky to take in for initial tune up myself.
~Ron

woodbeard

OK, Tom . I drained my radiator and threw it in the back of my pickup. Now what do I do with the chainsaw? ???

Bro. Noble

Woodbeard,

Be careful or I will have to compare you with that confused Canadian Mountie.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Noble_Ma

Ron is Stabil fluid is meant for gas/oil mixture only or not?  

Ron Scott

STA-BIL as its called is a fuel stabilizer for easy starting next season. It's recommended for all 2 and 4 cycle engines and is suppose to keep stored fuel fresh without the need to drain the tank.

It seems to work well in my engines as they start right up after a seasons storage with the gas left in the tanks. Of course the chain saws may not be stored as long since they are usually used as regularly needed without a long storage period.

There always seems to be some need for a chain saw. I just rotate the use of the saws so both saws do run some during slow use periods.
~Ron

Noble_Ma

I use it in my lawn mower and snow blower but I didn't know you could use it with gas/oil mix.  Good to know, thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!