iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stinkin' 026!

Started by martyinmi, October 06, 2012, 08:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdkStihl

Whats the scoop on the 026?

Sounds like you have an automotive style compression gauge without a "schrader" valve.

Reading through your posts again...I wonder if your metering lever is set too high?
J.Miller Photography

martyinmi

AdkStihl,
   They hadn't had a chance to put the intake boot on it and check it over Wednesday when I picked up the new bar and chain for the 923. I'll know mid week whether it is to be crushed or spared smiley_devil
And yes, my compression gauge has a valve on it. I guess I didn't know they couldn't be used on small engines. Why would that change things?

Here is me after unloading some of the Ash that I'd been cutting. I think I look like a much younger and better looking version of ol' Al! :D

Here's the old Dodge loaded and ready to hit the road.

Here's how my old self handles 25" diameter 2' long chunks of wood. Those chunk splittin' Homelites are real back savers. 8)

This is how much the load weighed. I've had more on before, but not too many times. The truck weighs 6800 empty.

Heres what happens when you forget where you've laid something, then suddenly remember! :-[

Al, the tractors I've pieced together over the years are usually 30's and 40's vintage, so that puts them closer to 70+ years old.
AND Brother Al.... Remember..... Just cause you can't do something don't mean it can't be done! :o :D ;)
popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

ladylake

Try a new or different carb, could also be sucking bar oil into the crankcase.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

martyinmi

Steve,
   I did try the carb from my 024 AVS. It seemed to run a little bit better-maybe. It was still a little under powered as compared to the 024 with the 026 carb. I should get it back in 3 or 4 days and I'll give my report.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Quote from: martyinmi on December 16, 2012, 02:24:17 PM
   I think I look like a much younger and not nearly as good of looking version of ol' Al! :D

Well yes to some extent perhaps .

Now I realize I'm only a dummy but why not take this carb from the good running 024 and put it on the badly running 026 ? It's the same carb in case you didn't know ,now you do.

You've done just about everything else except pull the top cover and park a complete other saw under it .

You keep on holding your hand up at auctions and fiddling around on flea bay you'll have so many saws you'll be up to your hip pockets in them and still be belly aching about this poor old 026 .Now get with it ,times a wasten . :)

Al_Smith

Oops dodn't know about the carb switch ,belay my last .Now then did you break a ring or something ?

martyinmi

I don't think I broke a ring. Dealer checked the compression the day I dropped it off and it was just shy of 145. I doubt it would be that high with a busted ring, would it?

Al, you know they say there's always one in every bar?

There'd be two if you and I happened to be in the same one :D :D :)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

145 is good . I just tossed the ring idea because you kept insisting it was 105 .Now we get another story .Actually we get a lot of storys but never back to the poor old 026 until one of us reminds you what the thread started out as .

Now before you even start it will be a lead pipe cinch that old Homelite will flat smoke an 026 .It's like an apple and an orange ,49 cc to 82 ya know .Now if you can work magic and get one of those Mini Macs to out cut that Homelite you've got something to talk about . ;)

martyinmi

Never insisted it was 105-simply stated what my tester read vs what the dealer's said. ;)

And we'll get back to the 026 saga soon enough. ::)

I do plan on attempting to make my 250 out cut the Homelites- if I can find some time. Already found a 1/8th" over piston. Need to get welding on that crank. I'll need to pick your brain on that one though. You coming to the next pig roast so I can pick in person? smiley_smash
You know they say two heads are better than one! smiley_divide
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

I can't say as I've ever welded up a crank so I wouldn't be much help .

martyinmi

I picked up the 26 from the dealer today. He was going to put a new intake on it, but he said the old one was like new and there was nothing wrong with it. It was twisted about 45* from it's proper orientation, so he corrected that. He pulled the carb and crossed the numbers to what is supposed to be on the saw. He said the carb actually belongs on a bigger saw(didn't say which one). He had me replace the high speed check on it a while back with a new one. It turns out that this carb isn't supposed to have a check, it's supposed to have a plug. :o :o The check apparently allows fuel to be introduced from two locations if I'm understanding him correctly.
He put the proper plug in it, re adjusted the carb, and now it runs like you'd expect it to. I brought it home and did a half dozen timed cuts with it and my 024AVS into an 8 inch Ash log and there was no distinguishable power difference. It is a little lazy off idle, but he said that it would get better as it breaks in. Another 40 bucks today. Needless to say I'm happy. Or as Phil from Duck Dynasty would say- Happy,Happy,Happy! 8) 8) 8)

I just can't believe ol' Al couldn't diagnose this saw's malfunction from his computer screen :D ;)

Thanks to all of you all who've followed along. This has been frustrating, but it has kept my mind off from a lot of the creepy stuff that's been happening in our beloved country as of late.

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Oh Marty I just don't know about all this .You twisted the boot eh,how in the world is that possible ? What is this "check " business with the carb ? Is this a work of fiction per chance ,the begining of a series of novels .

What is the idea the carb has two sources of fuel ,it's the exact same carb as that 024 .You're getting me confused here with all this ,are you sure it's even a Stihl ?

drobertson

I just want to thank marty and al for the entertainment :laugh:  This has been a very good stress reliever for me ;D  My father in law had/still has the 026, promtly on the shelf, He picked up a Huskey bout the same size, and he is happy, happy, happy ;D  I left out all the details of his saga, all he wanted to do is cut firewood.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

I don't know who is more fun ,Marty or the Swamp Donkey . :laugh:

Good old Swamp keeps coming up with sayings I've never heard of .Marty keeps on coming up with ideas I've never heard of .

I'm getting a little worried about Marty because one day no doubt he'll come up with the bright idea of hanging one cylinder off a Harley Vee twin on a saw .Hoist the heavy thing up on a log and hit the throttle .The saw will dig in and there goes Marty at about 100 miles per hour off into the wild blue yonder   .If he's heading northeast he might run over poor old swamp before he hits the Atlantic ocean .He might even end up in England before he gets it whoaed .---not good ---

Al_Smith

On a serious note which as is well known is rather out of character for me I think an 026 is a neat little saw .I can't seem seem to locate one yet for the mere fact I'm a tight wad .I did however  did find an 024 on the cheap which is also a neat little limber and lighter duty machine although not quite on the same page as the 026 .Rather I should say as compaired to a good running 026 not Martys . ;)---yet .

drobertson

Well I will be at my father in laws this week end, and that ole 026 is coming off the shelf, you boys have spiked my interest to the point I can't stand it.  I will definetly let you know how this goes.  Again thanks for the insights to this mysterious lil beast of a saw.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bill m

I bought 2 of them years ago to use out of the bucket truck. I had always been a Stihl man so did not question the quality of the saw. What a mistake. After many trips back to 2 different dealers to get them to run good and stay that way I shelved them and bought 2 Jonsered 2152.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Al_Smith

Huh I wonder why it is there seems to be so many problems ?

Usually  most Stihl products are pretty dependable .

Come to think about it though "cut for fun " pointed something  out recently that the 026 and 024 had basically three different exhaust systems on them and one was very restrictive .Which happened to be what I had on my 024 .

Of course me being me I preformed a little surgery on the thing which woke it right up .My Lawd the way they had that thing all baffled up and choked down it's a wonder it ran all .

Once again proving in spite of public opinion there is no such thing as a quiet  fast saw .

drobertson

Al, do you think it would be a good idea to open up the exaust a lil bit?  Melvyn has had this saw since day one, it has been a fire wood saw only. He takes care of all his equipment, always has, if I remember right they just could not get it to keep running with a steady idle? been awhile, I did not want to be noisey, so I just left it alone. I remember it from way back and it was a screamer, actually out cut my 041 if I remember right.

Al_Smith

I completely gut them .No baffles no deflecters no screens and they are loud I will admit that .They run good though but ear plugs are manditory .

Chances are great if a saw has been ran many hours with a restricted exhaust there stands a good chance the exhaust side of the piston is burnt .They can carbon up the port which will chew away at the piston .Often the rings are siezed which will hinder the performance .Not always but often .

With a 2 cycle if the exhaust cannot get out in a timely manner it cannot induce any more fuel in the cylinder for power and it takes fuel to make power .

I'm not saying that's what the problem is firstly because I can't see it .What I am saying is it might not be a bad idea to at least pull the muffler and check the health of the piston .If it's toasted just a little it doesn't take much to fix it unless it's completely  krisp critter .

As far as the muffler you dan't have to gut them .Pulling the screen though which is minor improves them at least some .If you don't like it put the screen back in .

drobertson

Ten four, I heading over today for see him anyway,  I will grab it and give it look,  thanks man, I will be back on this thread with a photo after while,  have a good morning,, david

drobertson

Al, I was right on one account, his 026 had an issue, but it was the bar lub. That saw is with Cody now, my brother in law, the 028 wood boss is the one that has the issue. It has sat for two years, fresh fuel, started on the third pull. 3-5 sec. and off. lots of tweeking bout the same, here is the best shots I could get of the piston. I will get a new fuel line from the tank to carb in the morning, it looked a bit moist in that area. The piston was not scorched, it had very small verticle lines,1/32 or thinner kinda like a bar code would look on it. the top was flat and clean. 

Al_Smith

The good old 028 has some age on it .It's the smaller cousin of the 038 made about the same only smaller .Fact I have one in the shed .

Pretty good odds the carb needs rebuilt which is simple and cheap .It should have either a Tillotson model HU 40 or a Walbro model WT 16 . Both are common with rebuild kits  readily available .

The diaphragms get stiff .They pump enough to get the thing started but can't keep up the fuel once it's running .

I think the regular 028 has a 42 mm bore and the farm boss might be 44 mm .In the 50 cc range .

drobertson

thanks al, headed to the saw shop in the morning,  it sounded good the short time it ran. no smoke, solid compression, 

martyinmi

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 19, 2012, 05:02:48 AM
Oh Marty I just don't know about all this .You twisted the boot eh,how in the world is that possible ? What is this "check " business with the carb ? Is this a work of fiction per chance ,the begining of a series of novels .

What is the idea the carb has two sources of fuel ,it's the exact same carb as that 024 .You're getting me confused here with all this ,are you sure it's even a Stihl ?
DanG it....Ol Al figgered me out! Yeah, it's true, I've never even seen a chainsaw, much less operated one. I snuck down to Ohio and found a chainsaw collection in a building out in the middle of a giant cornfield and I simply snapped a few pictures of a few of the prettier ones ;)
And the high speed check thing, well it seems as if I remembered hearing about one used in conjunction with a muffler bearing on a NASCAR Pontiac back in the '80s, so I guess if it's good enough for NASCAR drivers, it ought to be good enough for me :laugh:
And the guy in my avatar...well, he's my supermodel uncle. Sure is a good lookin' feller, isn't he?

Yep, that ol' Al picked the wrong vocation. Cyber detective work appears to be his ultimate calling :)
Sherlock Al?
Magnum PI Al?
Barnaby Al?
ALumbo (Columbo)?
ALbaretta?

I'm sure we could think of a few more!!!! :laugh:   :snowfight1:

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Thank You Sponsors!