iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

paint

Started by peterob, February 02, 2014, 09:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterob

what is the way to stop cracking of logs before sawing, i've got some logs that will be sitting for a while

Chuck White

I think the best is a product called anchorseal, although some people will just paint the ends of the logs with whatever paint they have on hand!

Just have to keep in mind that nothing is guaranteed!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Quote from: Chuck White on February 02, 2014, 09:38:34 PM
I think the best is a product called anchorseal
smiley_thumbsup

Try to coat the ends as soon you can, preferably as soon as you turn off the chainsaw
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Regular paint is a poor end sealer.  Go with the Anchorseal. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raym

Anchorseal's formula has changed and you may need several coats to prevent checking. There is another product that I think works better, artisan woodsealer. You can get it from www.woodturnerscatalog.com
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

longtime lurker

Mobilcer M  is a purpose specific log end sealer manufactured by Exxon Mobil.

Caltex also make an identical product. I can't tell you it's US trade name, but Caltex is a division of Chevron so it shouldn't be that hard to find out.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

Another option is to leave the logs ~one foot longer and trim the ends before sawing.  That saves the cost of sealer and the labor for applying it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You can buy the original Anchorseal from UC Coatings, but you cannot order on-line.  You have to call them.  That is what I do. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Too Big To Fail

does anybody use elastomeric roof paint? 

WDH

I have used aluminum roof paint.  Very messy, very hard to clean up, and if any gets on anything, is there permanently.  Does not work any better than anchorseal, is about as expensive, too.  It has no advantages over anchorseal and is very difficult to work with. 

Too Big To Fail

I'm looking at $79/5 gallon elastomeric vs $37/1 gallon Anchorseal (which I have used and like well enough) but the elastomeric is acrylic, so maybe is porous?  Don't know.  Seems like being roof paint it wouldn't be.  Less than 1/2 price is attractive to me.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Too Big To Fail on February 03, 2014, 08:44:48 AM
I'm looking at $79/5 gallon elastomeric vs $37/1 gallon Anchorseal (which I have used and like well enough) but the elastomeric is acrylic, so maybe is porous?  Don't know.  Seems like being roof paint it wouldn't be.  Less than 1/2 price is attractive to me.

The AnchorSeal (original formulation) is listed for $88 per 5 gallons at UC website. They used to have free shipping to many areas, not sure if that's still the case. Give them a call. There's really little comparison between the products.

Herb

Too Big To Fail

good call.  helps to buy in bulk

WDH

Yep, get the five gallon pail.  Will save you a lot. 

backwoods sawyer

Bowl turners bought a 55 gallon drum, there was enough of us that wanted five or ten gallons, saves even more that way..
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

mikeb1079

i'll reemphasize that it's critical to apply immediately.  if not don't bother...

just my experience.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

taw6243

Quote from: Too Big To Fail on February 03, 2014, 07:48:17 AM
does anybody use elastomeric roof paint?

yes, but it's not paint, it is roof coating more of a rubber and keeps water in as well as out, from Menards $15.00 per gallon it's what I use.
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

Thank You Sponsors!