iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Inspection

Started by inspectorwoody, November 24, 2006, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Hope all had a great Turkey Day!  smiley_turkey_dancing

How many of you would have an interest in learning how to properly grade hardwood lumber?

I have the thought(s) bouncing around in my head to see if we could put together another "Inspection Short Course" but I want your input.

I know Sawwood and I have talked about this and tried getting one put together...Don't know if it was wrong time of year for everyone or the cost or what it was but didn't seem to have many interested so I leave it in the hands of you...the great people on this site to tell me what you would benifit most from...if there was a charge...fair amount etc.

Gadget

logwalker

Only if it covered our western species. Doug Fir, Alder, Western Maple, Madrona, etc.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jpgreen

I'm very interested.  And if there are paticulars on species and areas, of course I would need info on western woods also..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Raphael

If you plan on having the course in Iowa then the best time for me would be during the week just before or just after the pig roast...  And just to keep things diversified I'd be more interested in eastern species...  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

solodan

I am interested as well, as long as western species are included. :)

beenthere

The NHLA grades will apply to all hardwoods.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

I would be interested in that...and Iowa ain't that far for me... ;D ;D ;D

Let me know when it will be...
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jpgreen

Dan and I could meet up and cruise on out there with his new Rino..  :D

solodan

That aint a bad idea,  :D   and think of all the fun we could have on that thing through Nevada and Utah. 8)  Maybe we could pull one of the log arches behind us too :D loaded of course.

customsawyer

I would be interested but would like to get some idea on the length of the course and the cost.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

inspectorwoody

Length could be a day or two....whatever you guys prefer.

Cost - When sawwood and I were trying to put one together earlier this year, I thought $50.00/person sounded fair. Taking into consideration mileage, packet of info, plus if people were interested in getting a copy of the NHLA rules book at class than you have to take in the cost of those, misc. etc.  What do you ya'll think is fair etc.?

Gadget

Raphael

I think two days is good... I often don't have good questions until I've had a couple free hours to digest new information, the second day gives me a chance to ask them.  $50 sounds good to me.
How much does the NHLA rules book go for?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

inspectorwoody

The rules book goes for $7.00 Non-member and $5.00 member.

It may be such that people want to go ahead and order them themselves and thats fine. I could have a few copies on hand for those others who don't.

I believe they should be coming out with a new updated copy in January 07'.

Gadget

jpgreen

If you've had these classes before, I missed them so I don't know what they entail.

Is the purpose of the class informational only, or does it apply towards actually becoming fully licensed to inspect, grade, and stamp lumber?

Can this apply to Western woods such as the pines?

solodan

You can also download the rule book for free in pdf format at the NHLA website.

customsawyer

I know for myself I would just as soon take a class for two days. One the cost of the travel vs. the amount of knowledge is more in line and like Raphael stated it gives me a chance to think of some questions and get the answers the next day but you would know more about how much info taught. I wouldn't want to take a two day course if the info could be taught in one day.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SawDust_Studios

I took the one here in Central, PA sponsered by Woodmizer of PA.  It was the NHLA short course and it was 3 days.  It cost $300, but really worth every penny of it.  $50 is a steal..   You'd be suprised how much info you can get from one of these courses.  Of course, since woodmizer took part, Marty had a mill there and we applied some of the grading rules to maximizing sawing.  It was really a great 3 days, with TONS of info.

If I was closer, I'd take it again..
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

KENROD

Count me in if ti's to be in Iowa. I been want'n to take one, haven't found one very close. Two days sounds good to me too. As far as cost, $50 sounds real good ta me.  ;D

inspectorwoody

jpgreen: The class is informational only with some hands on. I'm doing this on my own with no affiliation to the NHLA or other institutes offering a 3 day course.

I take the information that was taught to me during my 14 week stay in Memphis (NHLA Inspection School), along with my experience and pass it along to those who have an interest in learning.

Pines would fall in the softwood side of things in which they have their own standards. I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction as far as softwood goes but please do not hesitate in learning hardwood grading rules etc.

Solodan: Thanks for sharing about the pdf rule book!  ;D Saves everyone some green. I will have to check it out.

Thanks to all who have replied thus far and I look forward to hearing others thoughts and opinions weather good or bad.

I have some things in mind and a few things I am looking into so bare with me as I try to get a time frame!  ;) I can say that it would probably be late winter/early spring but if somethings work out I would lean more towards early spring.

Place...I'm looking into this also.

Class Size: Personally, I would like to keep it between 20-30. How do you guys feel about this?

Thanks again everyone

Gadget

Sawmill_Bill

Sounds like a great time for some real learn'n.  I'm in. :)

beenthere

inspectorwoody

I'd like to make it too, given the creek don't rise on those particular days :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!