iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Completed my DANG/Deadheader log loader. works pretty good.

Started by shadpeters, July 13, 2016, 08:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkaimwood

Shadpeters...nice build. Thank you for the detailed pics, especially the pin and pivot pics... very helpful!!! I'm hoping to do the same in my spare time...haha!!
     I would tend to agree that chains are better than tongs, although tongs would be priceless to chock the log off the ground first, if it's one of those situations where you can't get the chain under the log, and can't roll the log onto the chain. Best to have both...
     I too have one unintentionally jacked the back of the truck 2 feet off the ground loading the trailer with a bobcat 8 series, and my truck weighs 6200#'s. By some miracle, nobody was hurt, and no equipment was damaged. Just one of those things you don't think about until it happens to you. I now engage 4wd in addition to the e brake and park.
bk

tjhammer

I just carry a small jack stand for mine which worked fine, I try not to let my arbor get over center its a job getting it back up, the arbor lets one man to do all the work, if you put a piece of tubing on each side of the arbor(removable) to make it fixed you can unload the logs with the winch and a snatch block, I like your pivot point its easier to take off than mine
tj
hammer

Chop Shop

A friend uses a skid steer at his mill. MUD MUD MUD.  The skiddy makes tons of mud and tears up the driveway and grounds up bad.

A block or jackstand under the rear of a trailer can be rolled off of and then rendered useless.

Just attach a pegged leg or outrigger that is attached.

YellowHammer

Quote from: DanG on July 15, 2016, 01:32:26 AM
All you need it a chunk of wood under the back of the trailer.  ;)
I always used short lengths of RR cross ties, cut about 15 inches long.  I chocked the wheels with them, and also placed them vertically under each rear corner of the trailer to keep it from squatting and lifting the truck. Worked great.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

shadpeters

I really did not have much issue with the trailer lifting the truck. the trailer frame is all 8 inch channel, and I think the trailer probably weighs 2-3k pounds on its own, its rated for 12. the truck is a crew cab one ton long bed with four wheel drive and a 454 so its got a pretty healthy curb weight as well. i lifted the back of the truck a little bit with the trailer jack just to get the rear of the trailer down some and I never noticed it lifting the truck any more than that when I was loading the logs on. If I were loading in hillier country I'd be a lot more worried about that stuff, but this is central indiana farm country, and hills are about as rare as democrats.
Norwood Hd 36 portable mill with minimal hydraulics, mostly manual. Homemade bandmill in the works (will have a 42 inch throat!). Old school woodmizer solar kiln. 85 military chevy m1008 w/ turbo diesel and 4l80e, 89 diesel suburban, home made log trailer w/ loading arch. mf 1100 tractor with loader

plowboyswr

Quote from: shadpeters on July 16, 2016, 07:47:11 PM
I really did not have much issue with the trailer lifting the truck. If I were loading in hillier country I'd be a lot more worried about that stuff, but this is central indiana farm country, and hills are about as rare as democrats.
I run an older 3/4 tonight that has a heavier weight rating then some one tons. I've done quite a bit of hauling of skidsteers on my 16' bumper hitch. Did quite a bit of it's flat enough, I don't need stands on the back of the trailer when loading and unloading until one day when driving on, the truck and trailer decided that I needed to go for a ride! :o Since then I cut some blocks to put under the back of the trailer. Chock the wheels take the extra time before or clean your britches later ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

SineWave

This looks like a real good setup. Also some great safety tips in this thread I probably wouldn't have thought of. Thanks to all.

Oliver05262

I carry a couple of 7" X 9" X 16" pine blocks that I put under the rear corners when I load anything heavy using the ramps on my trailer. Even with the 9" side up, they are about 2-3" loose under the beavertail, and they usually still have clearance when I get centered on the deck. If there's still some weight on them, the trailer will pull ahead easily off them.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!