iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soapstone stoves/heaters

Started by quintstewart, October 22, 2004, 11:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quintstewart

Hi, I am a newbie in here. My wife and I are planning a log home in the mountains of southern California (approx 2600 sq. ft.). We like the idea of a soapstone heater but the ones like Tulikivi are VERY expensive. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they really keep a home warm all by themselves? Are there any cheaper ones that work?

You can answer me here or email me directly at quintstewart@yahoo.com

Thanks...Quint

ohsoloco

Welcome, quintstewart  :)  I've looked into masonry heaters for a while when I was considering building a house.  You can find some good information at http://mha-net.org/

Also, there is a company that sells "kits" that you could have a local mason install for you, their website is http://www.tempcast.com

Look around tempcast's site, or get in touch with them, because I'm pretty sure they can give you contact information for owners of their heaters so you could get info. from an actual user.  They're not all soapstone, but I'm sure you could go that route if you like...I like the mountainstone myself  :)  Good luck searching!  

Murf

Quint, welcome also.

Yes, the soapstone heaters DO work as well as they say.

However, you can also reproduce the same effect with a regular small woodstove and a skid of refractory brick or as it is commonly called "fire brick", the yellowish stuff they sell for lining a woodstove.

The theory is merely thermal mass storage, you make such a mass of masonary warm that it gives off a small amount of heat constantly, instead of a blast of heat now & then like a traditional furnace would.

Avoid the temptation to use regular concrete, it won't take the extremes of temperature that are required.

The same theory was used by a friend who built a solid fieldstone chimney and fireplace in his new house. The chimney base is sitting on the bedrock beneath the house and goes straight up through the house, the place is 2 storey (plus basement) with a 12/12 pitch roof on top. The base is 8' x 12' and it stays that size for the first 16' then it 'narrows' to 4' square for the rest of the run up. It also forms a structural element and holds up the second floor. They keep a small fire going on the main floor and basement all the time. It will hold heat for a week.

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

rebocardo

Murf, That is interesting! For anyone that needs a link (I came across this doing soapstone stove research):

The Masonry Heater Information Site

http://mha-net.org/

quintstewart

Thanks everyone for the info. I have seen the mha-net.org website and got a lot of info there. I found green mountain soapstone that supposedly has a soapstone heater for about 1/2 what the tulikivi's start at. I am going to call them this weeek to see what they have to say...maybe since they are in the USA the shipping is what I will save...time will tell.

Quint

quintstewart

Hi Everyone,
For anyone interested, I finally was able to talk to someone at Green Mountain Soapstone. They said they are coming out with an entire line of soapstone masonry heaters very soon. They told me to call them back just after the first of the year for more info. I did ask if the line would include one that would heat a 2600 sq. ft. log home and they said yes. Hopefully their prices will be a little more reasonable than Tulikivi!

Stay tuned...

Thank You Sponsors!