iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road Side

Started by Autocar, September 27, 2011, 03:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I bought a job road side this past week I have about half the logs stacked at the road. Then it started rainning and has rainned every day for a week,three and half inches so far. Seems like a fellow can't win for losing some days  ::)
Bill

treefarm

What part of the world are you in, Autocar? 3 & 1/2" in a week sounds like Northwest! We're not too far behind you in New England-I'm guessing 11-12" so far for September. I'm trying to log 85 acres of Hemlock. Had a pile of rain 4 days ago, so I've been cutting for 3 days-tomorrow's haul day, come hell and the hell with high water, to mangle the phrase.  Tom
Treefarm

Ed_K

Same here,water poring out of every bench.From top to bottom of the mnt.
Ed K

treefarm

"Same here,water poring out of every bench.From top to bottom of the mnt."
I hear you Ed_K-the little streams have just stopped running, and they're everywhere. Luckily, our lands mostly easy slopes-no mountain sides. I tried mountain side skidder work 40 years ago, when I was in my 20's and young and stupid-it scared the daylight's out of me even then! So, anyway, with more rain Thursday day/nite, tomorrow's get it out of the woods day and call the trucker! Tom
Treefarm

Maine372

remember, if it wont dry out, it will eventually freeze.

Autocar

Here in Ohio this is the best time to log but this fall it has never stopped rainning. The crops are still in the feilds so when they come off I will have to wait till they give me the ok to cross the feilds. I have a few jobs that I have to put a bond up I can see it now I will be up the creek with out a paddle. Last winter it snowed and it never froze under it. Like we always say if we didn't love it you wouldn't last  ;D
Bill

Bobus2003

Trade ya rain for our dry.. gettin tired of the 4-5" of dust on the roads and skid trails

Coon

For us here it is getting to be as dry as a popcorn fart.  The water table is finally dropping to where it should be after having a rather dry warm summer.  Last year it took its toll on us as we had over 40 inches of rain in the spring/summer/fall and then dumped piles of snow on us last winter.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

JP135

Rain? What's that?

Man, we've got full-grown catfish that don't know how to swim.

Woodwalker

Quote from: JP135 on September 28, 2011, 06:44:40 AM
Rain? What's that?

Man, we've got full-grown catfish that don't know how to swim.

Ain't that right.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

treefarm

"Rain? What's that?

Man, we've got full-grown catfish that don't know how to swim."

Yeah-I wish there was a way to get it out to you guys! 37+ inches so far this year, up to another 1/2 inch predicted tomorrow and we're headed IN to the rainy season. We were in Texas in May of '08 (panhandle), 105 degrees every day w/30 mph winds. Can't imagine how fires ever get put out in those conditions or how there could be any water left in the wells! Tom
Treefarm

treefarm

So Autocar-what did it do in Ohio the last 24 hours? I shut the skidder off @ quarter of six yesterday afternoon & it was partly cloudy. The sun just came out at 3 o'clock this afternoon. In between, our weather station measured an inch and a half of rain. The ground had just firmed up (but was still wet) from the hurricane a month ago. It won't dry out now this late in the season-it'll have to freeze first. What a mess-hopefully this came up the coast and not across the country, so it missed you. Tom
Treefarm

Ed_K

I knew it would rain today,so I covered the skidder+tractor and told them I'd see them in a week or so  :D :( .Well we have had 3"today so it may be wait till freeze up :o .
Guess it's time to get an extention on the cutting plan  ::) .
Ed K

Autocar

I was in a woods at 6:00 this evening looking at some timber, it kicked up with a 60 mile per hour wind and was rainning so hard you couldn't see fifty yards. Needless to say even with a rain coat I looked like a drowned rat  :D When I got home we topped off right at four inches. Everyone east of Ohio hang onto the bed sheets your going to get a blow before the morning  ;)
Bill

Ironwood

Figured you couldn't be too far from me. Been REALLY wet here. Was in the yard playing w/ paper airplanes with the boys (3-4-9) barefooted and you can sink into the soil/turf further than any SPRING I can remember.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!