iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squash Recipe Wanted

Started by Bro. Noble, July 01, 2008, 08:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

:)  Several years ago,  I had dinner at a cousins and she served a baked dish with squash, onions, and tomatoes with cheese on top.  There might have been some other stuff but that's what I remember-----it was real tasty.

Well,  we have onions and squash in our garden and soon will have tomatoes so I told my wife to find out how to make that stuff.  She can't find a similar recipe.

Do any of you have a recipe like that?

Might be fun to hear your favorite way to fix squash 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

My favorite way to eat yellow squash is stewed with onions.   I could eat 2 or 3 pounds a day.  ;D

I googled this casserole recipe that has tomatoes.
http://www.grouprecipes.com/5786/creole-squash-casserole.html

more:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,cornmeal_yellow_squash_casserole,FF.html

WDH

Slice them into rounds, batter the rounds with House Autry Chicken Breader, and fry the little rascals :).

However, we usually eat them like Toms says, stewed with onions. 

Noble, I cannot help you with the squash/tomato recipe, but I am game to try something like that because it sounds good!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Not only is this my favorite squash recipe, it's my favorite vegetable recipe.  You can use any combination of vegetables that you'd like, (including green beans, tomato, mushrooms, or zucchini, etc.) but get most of the pieces the same size as the other vegetables.  I cut mine into about 1 inch sections. 

3-4 potatoes (white, red, yukon or sweet potatoes) peeled & chopped
1 acorn or butternut squash, peeled seeded & chopped
1 onion chopped
1 cup of baby carrots or 1 large carrot chopped
1 cup of brussel sprouts
1/2 cup walnut or olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
a few sprigs of chopped rosemary and thyme
salt & pepper  (red pepper puts a zing in it)

Mix the oil with the garlic and herbs, and toss in all the vegetables to coat them.  Put vegetables in oven proof casserole dish and season with salt & pepper.  Bake in oven at 350 or 400 for about 45 minutes or until fork tender. 
Say when

Lorax

ITALIAN STYLE SQUASH   

2 sm. summer squash or zucchini
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 med. onion, sliced
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. butter or olive oil
1/3 c. grated cheese (Parmesan)
Optional ingredients: 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
                                1 tsp each of dried basil and oregano leaves
                                1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped

Wash and cut squash into thin slices. Arrange squash, tomatoes and onions in alternate layers in greased casserole. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, dot with butter and add grated cheese on top. Cover and bake in preheated oven 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove cover last 10 minutes to brown cheese.

Roxie

Oh wow Lorax...thanks! 

That's what's for dinner tonight!   8)
Say when

zopi

cut 'em up lengthwise and marinate briefly in teriyaki sauce with a bit of sesame chili oil and grill...

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bro. Noble

Thanks all,

Lorax,  that sounds like what I was looking for,  but I'm anxious to try Roxie's as well.  I am already experienced eating them off the grill and stewed with onions ;D

My wife fixes acorn squash by halving them,  scooping out the seeds,  and baking them with butter and brown sugar on them.  You eat them out of the shell :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

OneWithWood

I am a simple man.  Slice the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, cover with plastic wrap loosely, microwave for 7 minutes.  Fill seed hollow with fresh butter, pepper to taste. 
I am partial to acorn squash but I have yet to meet a squash I did not like.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Yeah, simple for me to. Only I peel and seed them and dice them up to microwave a cupful with each meal. Well, how much do you think one guy can eat along with the other stuff rounding up the plate? ;D

Sounds like some interesting recipes being written up.

About the only other way I've ate squash was in pie, like pumpkin.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Kinda funny the way this thread is going.  Down here, when squash is mentioned, we usually think of Yellow Crook Neck or straight neck first.   We have to be reminded that there are some others.  :D

OneWithWood

Tom, you've got to get out and experience more of the world's cuisine  :)
One With Wood

Tom

I do pretty good, OWW.  It's just what comes across one's mind first.

Tom the round

WDH

We are straight neck people :).  Getting a bunch this year, too.  It probably has to do with the heat.  Straight neck and crook necked do well here.  I guess you like what you can grow well in your climate.  I do like lobster, though ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

If there is one thing I have always overplanted, it was yellow squash.  Two plants of straight or crooked neck yellow squash will  feed a family, all their animals and most of their relatives.   I always seemed to plant at least 10,    :-\   I don't know why.   ???

WDH

Norm

My son planted a half row of summer squash this year in the first garden he's ever planted.

I asked him if he knew why folks started locking their car doors after the 1st of July.  :D

scgargoyle

We used to take yellow summer squash, esp. if they got a little big, cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the innards, boil or steam the shells, and build a pizza on top of 'em. Sneaky way to get kids to eat their veggies.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Tom

Hmmmj
Gael fixes Squash like that for me sometimes, and all this time I thought she was making me something special.  :D :D

OneWithWood

Quote from: Tom on July 04, 2008, 03:31:21 PM
Hmmmj
and all this time I thought she was making me something special.  :D :D

You was special long before Gael tried to make you so  :D :D :D ;D
One With Wood

Tom

Was that the reason for the "Special Ed" classes?   :D

SwampDonkey

What's all this talk of "crooked necked" squash? Those words are only spoken about the roadside traffic that slows down and looks in on a working man in his fields or working on a building. Heaven forbid if your daughters are working/helping you with the task, like wood splitting or rock picking.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

blueox

Summer Squash Casserole

2 eggs (beaten w/ salt & pepper)
8-10 Saltines (crumbled and mixed in the egg)

Add:
Yellow Summer Squash (cubed small & steamed)
1 onion chopped small
Cubed velveeta cheese (1/2 of the block or so...to your liking)

Mix all together and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes....mmmmm good!

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Thank You Sponsors!