Started by richhiway, January 07, 2019, 07:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for making me love my hydraulics that much more. I cut 2- 6' 6X6's out of 9" ash logs this afternoon and while I did rotate them by hand I never had to leave the rail side and it took only minutes to do them. I assume you were putting the slabs on the forks of your tractor. I threw mine further back on the rail side and will pick them up when the stack gets so big it gets in my way. Once cut I slid the 6X6's down the mill then on to the forks where my tractor was staged at the rear of the mill on the rail side. The biggest time and work saver I saw was in my side supports and the movable clamp.

I am sure that cut my steps in half from what you have to do with your manual version. Thanks for sharing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Great job there.  Like WV said, you learn to appreciate the features the different mills have, this would actually be a great video for the folks who are looking at manual mills and don't have the opportunity to see one in person.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

I enjoyed the video.  I milled dozens of 6x6's with a WM LT10.  I know the manual mill pain. I have a hydraulic LT40 now, but if you working alone, it's just about as much back and forth as a you in the video.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!