iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT 15 mods

Started by dootsy, April 08, 2006, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dootsy

I've just begun using a 2002 Woodmizer LT 15 and as a rookie I am already wondering about modifying it. Can a power feed be put on this unit as well as a power up/down component? I realize that Woodmizer offers neither but hope someone has found a way to do it.  How about using a power unit from an LT 28?

I am also interested in finding out if tow boards and a log turner will work on this unit.

Last but not least, are the new log clamps for the LT 15 better than the ones on my 2002 model?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dootsy

woodhick

Welcome to the forum.  Not real familiar with the Lt 15 but I built my own mill that is very similar to an LT40.  With a little thinking and help from people here you can modify  anything. :o
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

MartyParsons

Yes you can install the new style clamps on a 2002 LT15 and they work much better. Wood-Mizer sells a taper wedge to adjust your first cut. I would say if you had some steel and a welder you could make one. No the power feed from the LT28 would not work on the LT15. Not to say with a little thinking you could not make one work. I saw a customer use a inexpensive floor jack for a toe board adjustment and it looked like it would work quite well. I do not think the log turner would work unless you had the mill up higher to make clearance for the turner. Like on a house trailer frame. Then you will get into other issuse getting the log up on the trailer.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Warren

Dootsy.

I have an LT 15 also.  I tried the floor jack idea that Marty mentioned last year.  Unfortunately, my mill is low enough on the saw end that I could seldom get the jack in a good position without either moving the log laterally away from the stops, or moving the frame with the log.  But, it might work for you.

I asked a similar question several months ago about power up/down. But didn't hear from anyone modifying an LT15.  If you come up with a sharp mod, I would appreciate pix.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!