iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

piggyback forklift

Started by duckslayingpro, February 04, 2014, 06:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckslayingpro

I was just wondering if any of yons used or used a piggy back all terrain lift to load logs. Just wanting to know the pros or cons of these. Ive found one cheap if they work anygood. Never been around one so dont knkw much about them. Supposed to have a 5000 lb lift capacity. Would be used to sort on the deck and load a small trailer with blockwood or firewood logs. My trucker has a self loader so it wont be loading a truck. Mainly need it for sorting. Thanks for any info.

thecfarm

You mean a 3 wheel one? I think one member has one.I forgot who is it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

duckslayingpro

Yes a three wheel one. I forgot to add this wouldonly be used mainly one day a week sometimes two days.

Ohio_Bill

Tom the sawyer   has one .https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63085.msg935592.html#msg935592

If I did this right this should be a link to his post about it .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

sshier

We used a spyder three wheeler for quite a while two three years used it to sort, skid logs, and load dump trailers worked very well never found a log it wouldent lift. Only thing was you had to have chains on the tires to move in any mud or snow and it would skid a suprisingly large load we did alot of cord with it before getting a loader/slasher and skidder. Good luck

sshier

They can be alittle squrily mine was on its nose and sides a few times but amazingly manuverable sorry just had to add that

Tom the Sawyer

duckslayingpro,

I have a piggyback forklift, a '93 Princeton Teledyne D5000.  It can lift 5000 lbs, although anything more than 3000 really uses a slightly more complicated procedure (raise load above front wheels and retract carriage before moving - then reverse, etc.).  It works very well for my uses, unloading logs from trailers, sorting and moving logs to the mill.  It's big advantage is that it can lift more than it weighs (5000 vs 4700 lbs), it moves very well on soft, uneven terrain like construction sites, and it will turn on a dime (three wheel drive). 

There are some limitations you should consider before using it on a landing.  It has limitations related to being a forklift.  The reach is limited to the length of your forks. Unlike most FELs, you can't reach over an object to pick something up.  My forks are 42" long.  If I have to lift a log over a railing or fender, I use a set of tongs and a chain to get it off the trailer, set it on the ground and then pick it up with the forks.

Since the maximum width of the forks is about 40" you have to be pretty accurate when positioning yourself for longer logs.  For 8' or 10' logs, its no problem but if you are moving 12' or longer you'll be lifting logs that tip to the side, setting them down, backing up, moving to the side and trying again. 

If you are planning to sort and stack a hundred logs a day it won't be very efficient.  For someone who moves enough logs to mill 1500-2000 bf a day it works fine.

The mast tilts forward and backward about 15°, a FEL or skid steer probably tilts forward at least 90° and 45° backward.  In real world conditions, that means that if you are on moderately sloping ground you need to back down to keep the logs from rolling off the forks - not always easy or efficient to do.  You can, of course, throw a chain or hook around the log but that is a trip out of the seat to do that, plus another to unhook.  Due to the limited forward tilt, those logs that aren't close to round won't roll off the forks and you'll have to get off and give them a push.

If you need to move logs, occasionally a really big one, on gently sloping ground, and move loads of lumber, load/unload a kiln, or move palleted materials, then a piggyback might work well for you.   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

nas

I also have one.  A Moffat, and I agree with Tom the Sawyer.  They are better for moving lumber and pallet material than for logs.  I use my tractor loader for most logs and will only use the moffat if it is to heavy for the tractor(2200lb or so)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

sshier

Think i posted pick of spyder when you get used to the controls and function of the machine you can be fairly productive i was doing 20 cord in a day cut shid buck and sort its a ok start sometimes i wish i was back there running a couple days a week hope the pic comes through

redprospector

Wow! It's been about 30 years since I've ran a Spider, hauling sod.
Best advice I can give is to wear your seatbelt, you're going to need it.  :D
I can see where they'd be useful, but the learning curve is very unforgiving.
My only experience was on a Spider. Some of the heavier looking brands look to be more stable.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!