iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Country Boil

Started by BBTom, September 11, 2003, 07:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

I was just wondering how many of us it would take, iffin we would all pitch in for some of the fixins-To talk Tom into hosting a good old low country boil.  Seems to me that it is getting to be about that time of year.  I spent a couple or three years just south of Savannah GA, and got to where I miss finding a good boil most every weekend in the fall.  haven't gone to one for almost 15 years now.

What do you say Tom?????  You up for it??  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

biziedizie

K I  gotta ask what's a low country boil???

Should I be wanting to know what this is ::) ;D

Steve

BBTom

CAPT 'N' FUSKIE'S LOW COUNTRY BOIL
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 lbs. shrimp, headed and washed6 lbs. smoked sausage, cut in pieces20 ears of corn, broken in half1 lb. butter4 lg. onions, cut in chunks4 bell peppers, cut in quarters6 pods garlic3 lbs. Irish potatoes, scrubbed and left in their jacketsSalt and pepper to taste
In huge pot, cook sausage in water for about 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except headed shrimp. Cook until potatoes are almost done. Add shrimp and cook until just tender. Drain off water.

Cover table(s) with newspaper. Take pot of "boil" and throw it out on the table(s) as though you were throwing out a bucket of water. Let everyone help themselves, using paper plates. Have plenty of iced tea on hand and if you like, some slices of Vienna or French bread smeared with garlic butter.

I always had some blue crab in with it too!!!!  YUMMMMM!!!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Texas Ranger

Funny you should mention that, I'm doing one on the 20th for some folks, small group, 20 or 30.  Hadn't used the sausage, will try that one this time.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Ah-h-h- Yes-s-s-ss

Low country is the land from the swamp to the sea.  The boil is finger food and  spiced to a neer do well.  it's the place where you find Cayene pepper and shrimp boil spices and Zaterains cajun stuff , cause they're low country too.  Some of the stuff you have to drink milk to put out the fire but I don't like it real hot.  just a touch so's you wonder what that flavor is?

Lots of butter and seafood and most anything else you can find that will fit in the pot.

It's good tasting communal food that makes friends of enemies and Yankees go south. :D :D  There's lots of visiting involved before, during and after the meal and the food never really stops.  Everybody eventually ends up on the floor or laying under a big Oak, asleep. :D

ARKANSAWYER

In SC the table was waste high and had a double layer of chicken wire and holders on the side for lemons, hot sauce, and cold drink.  You stood or sit on a bar stool to eat and there was a 5 gallon bucket to your right for the hulls.  Now them eatings.  In LA there be crawdads in the mix and chuncks of meat that you were better off not asking about.   Just eat as it was all good.  Afterwards a bowl of good home made ice cream because the next day you will be wanting the ice cream to ease the burn. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

sounds good
up here boiled means a whole different thing
New England Boiled Dinner
http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipes/search/onerecipe.php?number=625
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jason_WI

QuoteIn LA there be crawdads in the mix and chuncks of meat that you were better off not asking about.

I would rather eat my boots ;D ;D ;D ;D

A feller could get long teeth eatin that.....

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

CHARLIE

My guess is, that ARKANSAWYER was eatin' Nutria.  They eat a lot of them in Louisana. They look like rats and a lot of 'em live in the dikes that keep the lowlands from flooding. They have to kill 'em to keep them from causing the dikes to fail.  Me......I just don't think I could eat one. Click on this site to see what one looks like.

http://www.nutria.com/site.php

You can also get a lot of Nutria recipes if you have a hankerin' to try one. :-/

http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/special/recipes.htm
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jason_WI

Charlie,

I was better off not knowing!! :-X

Us northreners got better things to eat than RATS and crawdads....eeegh.

We eat these rather large critters that are black and white, and go moo sometimes. Usually dumber than a bag of hammers but that makes them easy to catch and load onto the truck. And they don't taste like sage brush like they do in the south west. ;D ;D

The only boiled stuff round these parts is called a fish boil. Whitefish fresh from lake michigan, new taters, onions, and lots of salt. Get it boilin good and when its done flair up the fire to boil off the scum and fish oil. Lots of butter goes well as well as good baked beans. mmmm good.

Eat no DanG rodents in these parts unless you go to Mc Donalds ;D ;D.....

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

ARKANSAWYER

Now in these parts we eat tree rats and this time of year when they are in the hickorys they are really sweet.  Kids like them in dumples and the hounds get very little of it.  They are not hard to shuck and plenty of them.   I like mine fried and then soften in a pressure cooker and served with fried taters.  Now in my travels around the world I have found many good things to eat and was the better for not asking first.  I figured if the locals could eat it then I could too.   There are some fine fixings out there and up on the east cost they just dug a hole in the sand and built a fire and piled food in and some how did not get it covered with sand so as you could eat it.  I have noticed the farther north I go the blander the food gets.  But they do likes to have plenty of it.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Minnesota_boy

I think Arky is right about food being blander the farther north you go.  Why, up here some of the Norwegians think that it's getting pretty spicy when they put butter on their mashed potatoes.  :D

I was amazed that the food was not very spicy in New Mexico and Arizona when I was there this year.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

CHARLIE

Yah you betcha Minnesota-boy. When I moved up here in '72 I was DanG surprised when da Norvegians could only eat a cheese pizza 'cause dat pepperoni was too spicey. Dey tink puttin' black pepper on something is really really spicey hot!!!! :o ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!