iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a Beauty

Started by Magicman, November 06, 2018, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I am familiar with rotten Red Oak logs becoming flooring.

This one did.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Looks like the same ones I have seen.  How did it turn out?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Very nice as you described above.  The color was darker and  "richer" than the other logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That reminds me of my firewood logs. ;D  But I need firewood more than lumber. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

An update on what is happening with this "Beauty".

I put my brand new 24" bar/chain on the saw.  OK, I know that a Stihl 310 is not rated for a 24" bar, but I got it for special occasions and this is special.  ;D

First sawing the butt from the stump.

Yes the stump stood back up. Well partially anyway.  You can see it pulling loose at the bottom of the cut.  I measured and planned to jump butt 18" from the butt log just in case this happened.

That 24" bar came in handy because the butt was 36".

Two 12' and two 10' logs before we reached the crotch.  :)

The top end of the 4th log was 23".

I didn't have my snatch block(s) so we had to winch the two top logs first.

The top two logs are out.

The butt log is next which had to be double blocked.

Had to winch it around this stump.

'Bout ready to move the tractor forward for another pull.

Winching the second log out. That Tajfun tractor winch did a job.  Those are my Grandfather's old 36" tongs.  They have been well taken care of and have never been nor needed to be sharpened.

All four logs out and staged for sawing.  The next time that you see them will be on Whatcha Sawin ??

A short Video with the double blocks on the butt log:
IMG 5443 - YouTube

The first two of three twitches of firewood.  The third twitch was two logs but it was too dark for a picture.  The near log was a standing dead Red Oak.

WDH

That red oak was growing like a weed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on November 06, 2018, 08:22:43 PM
If you don't saw it, I will come and get it :).
At least you will not have to make a trip. 
Yup, from the ground ~50' to the fork.  Not the first limb, not even 2"-4" limbs.  :)

Southside

It would be interesting to find some acorns from that beauty and see if the offspring do as well. Maybe Mossy Oak would pay handily for them.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

There are easily 3-4 equally as good within sight of this one.  One even larger.

Flintlock427

nice log ,where did you buy your tajfun winch ,it looks well made ?

Magicman

That Tajfun is a real beast.  I bought it from a deceased sawyer's widow.

richhiway

Nice Job. I like that winch!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Brad_bb

What is a "twitch"  of firewood?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Well - not really, kinda depends on the size of your horse. A twitch won't make a whack if you don't have adequate ponies.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

A twitch can be a whack, but a whack is usually more than a single twitch.  Depends on the specific gravity and moisture content of the wood and the phase of the moon.  These things can get tricky.  It takes an experienced expert to figure it out.  For a small fee, I am available to help you come to the proper conclusion.

DWyatt

Quote from: WDH on December 19, 2018, 08:51:48 PM
A twitch can be a whack, but a whack is usually more than a single twitch.  Depends on the specific gravity and moisture content of the wood and the phase of the moon.  These things can get tricky.  It takes an experienced expert to figure it out.  For a small fee, I am available to help you come to the proper conclusion.
This statement sums up half the conversations on the FF. Fro what I've heard, WDH is a "Very Professional Experienced Expert" :D

Southside

Quote from: WDH on December 19, 2018, 08:51:48 PMbut a whack is usually more than a single twitch

"Usually", in this case, would represent the limiting factor based on the gross sum of deceased chief executives of a republic one has devoted to the acquisition of adequate ponies.  Should one dedicate enough deceased chief executives of a republic then easily a "twitch" can exceed a whack and become danG close to a "load". It all boils down to the Benjamins.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Sounds like bovine scatology......
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

rjwoelk

bovine scatology.  Got to keep that one in mind
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

That sounds like a twitch to me.  :D

WDH

OK, y'all quit all this twitching. 

Magicman

I imagine that Marty and I will have a twitch to go to the Cabin tomorrow and work on that firewood twitch.  Well actually those three twitches did make a whack.

That "standing dead" Red Oak was 60' without a limb and about 22" at the butt.  I hate to loose trees like that but sometime trees just die. :-\  I am glad that I spotted it and was able to skid it out.  There is another by the creek that I have not looked at yet.

petefrom bearswamp

My understanding is that a twitch is related to animal skidding, horses, mules burros, oxen or maybe even whats in the bogus picture of a moose in harness.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Southside

There is a twitch that is a chain on a stick and is used to hold a horses lip when performing less than relaxing procedures on said horse - usually involves a vet - and it's purpose is to keep the horses focus on its lip and not whatever else is happening. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!