iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoking meat with Walnut?

Started by Magicman, November 09, 2011, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I know that fruit tree wood and nut tree wood makes good meat smoking wood, but what about Walnut?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Eeeuuww!

;D
Let us know how it works.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

iffy

I read in some guide to smoking meats that it imparts a very bitter taste.

D Hagens

I've tried walnut once, dried the chips myself. It gives meat a very different bitter taste :o
I don't think I would try it again, good for the camp fire though 8)

Magicman

Yup, I was asked about it yesterday.  My thoughts were that it would be strong/overpowering.  I'll see him tomorrow, and tell him to stick with Pecan, Hickory, and China Berry.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I ruined a good brisket with walnut smoke a few years ago. Bitter,  very bitter.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

zopi

Try cherry for ribs...yum! Sassafras is good too.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

I wonder if galvy spikes would improve on that? lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

It would taste like it smells...and it smells like a hog farm to me!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

tyb
Glad I don't have your sniffer.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iffy

For an occasional change I like to use Osage Orange.

DanG

Lynn, tell him to mix a little fat lit'rd with the walnut to sweeten it up a bit. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Jerry will be smoking me a Boston Butt tomorrow while I am sawing for Radar67.  He will use Oak.   ;D

caveman

MM, I don't get a lot of walnut but we did cook 38 Boston butts last night on pignut hickory.  Usually, I use black cherry but decided to change it up a bit.  We cooked 150 chickens this morning on cherry--what a sweet aroma in the cool morning air.  The worst meat I ever smoked was an experiment with white oak from a whiskey barrel.  Let us know how the walnut works out. 
Caveman

zopi

Cherry is awesome smoking wood...I keep a stash of chunks, various species out in the shed...cherry, oak, mesquite, sassafrass, maple...well, if I want maple, I just shag a piece off the woodpile...need to dig up some beech..beech makes good ribs...have some apple from an orchard I cleared a couple years back...a couple of doors up, a guy has a big pignut hickory leaning and hung up...cheap dude, won't pay for the removal, but said if I wanted the tree to come get it amd leave the brush lay...sooo...slabs off of that will wind up in the stash...already have a little pecan amd bitternut...guess I need to make some bbq!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

D Hagens

So MM, how'd it turn out? Are you going to post pics to make us drool over as you usually do :)

Magicman

Quote from: caveman on November 12, 2011, 08:36:43 PM
Let us know how the walnut works out. 

The Walnut idea was canned as per the responses above. 

But, when you have seen one nice butt, you have truly seen a good thing.   ;D

Jerry's smoker.

SwampDonkey

I don't know much about smokers, but it sure looks OK by me.  ;D

How'd the meat taste? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!