iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

turner mills

Started by breederman, September 17, 2003, 06:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

Ive got a line on a used Turner band mill,made here in NY any of you guys any thoughts on them? they are a simple manual mill with trailer tires  for band wheels.my concern is the frame dos'nt seem very heavy but I've noticed that on alot of the cheaper mills,maybe not a problem when they are set up?
Together we got this !

D._Frederick

If I were to buy a used mill or even a new one, I would spend the money on a mill with iron (steel) wheels. The big problem with inflated tires for wheels: tires not being round, out of balance with the tires and rim, and tracking problem with the blade. These problems will cause vibration and whipping blades. If you have the skill level of Fla_,Deadhead you can work with these problems and have a useable sawmill. On this mill, your problems will start when you have to replace the tires. I would rather have a mill build on the heavy side than too light. The more weight the carriage has, the less you will notice vibration. If the track is made of light weight angle iron or tubing, and you drop or roll a heavy log on it, it will give and bend.

MemphisLogger

I'd also suggest that you seriously consider a cantilevered head.  ;D

I've had the opportunity to saw on a few of the lower-priced four post mills and found that winding is a big problem. Sure, you can microadjust the outriggers to perfection, but as soon as you load or turn a few heavy logs, your once parallel tracks won't be anymore.  :'(

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Captain

I have seen the Turner Bandmills in action and spoken with Bill Turner at the shows. He is a good guy and very approachable.  I would look at the condition of the mill and then call Bill to ask him what he thinks.  Here is a link to Wild Ridge Farm.

http://www.turnermills.com/

MrMoo

I had a Turner Mill and sawed lots of good lumber with it.
The tires used as band wheels really never caused a problem. The blade tracked fine. It is true that the tires are never perfectly round or run true but the blade guides took care of vibration in the blade.
As far as the frame is concerned it is not the most rugged but it was ok for most logs. This mill is not really built for big logs and Bill Turner had told me that before I purchased it.
I will say that Bill supported me well and was always willing to answer questions.
Breeder if you want to know more send me a message and I'll reply.
Mike

breederman

thanks guys! I have talked with the builder once at a show seemed like a very nice guy tryin to build a simple mill that one man could use,and didnt try to make it out to be more than it is.
Together we got this !

DextorDee

I use a Turner mill I bought back in Nov. .
The frame is not a big deal
as long as you keep a check on it .
Its is, what you said a simple manual mill .
Agree with Mr Moo ,tires are not a problem
Send me a message if you'd like to know more :)
Ken

sho wood like sum peecan pie ;D
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Thank You Sponsors!