iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Haven Back From Isabel

Started by woodhaven, September 27, 2003, 06:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhaven

Just a quick note. I got to go get a bath for the first time in 9 days.
Power came on about 1 hour ago. House made out pretty good. Shop will need a new roof. All are safe.I got several hundred pictures. You will have to see to believe what we been through.
We have guys working in the area from almost state each of you are from. It's like the whole country is here.

Richard, Shirley, Ladie, Tiger
Richard

AndyB

Glad you are back with us and everyone is safe. 8) 8) 8)

Tom

Glad you are un-injured.  It's so tempting to run off to a disaster area and offer help but you find that you are not part of the scheme of things real fast.  I'm glad there are so many states with organizational skills good enough to give you some help.  Keep your eye out for that one-in-a-lifetime piece of pretty wood :D

Fla._Deadheader

Same here. Glad to hear y'all are OK. With the bum leg, best I could do is Stupidvise, so, I'm stayin here ::) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodhaven

Tom,
You would shoot me if you could see some of the stuff I am burning. I hate it but I have to make room to work. I am saving a few good logs. I have a pile of about 50 stumps already burning. What I had to do was get a excuvator to pick up trees off the shop and house.
Richard

Norm

Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound at your place woodhaven. Sorry to hear of all the tree loss, sounds like you guys had some damage if you had to have an excavator lift them off the roofs.

ARKANSAWYER

That is good news! 8)  (the bath I mean)  I am glad all is well.   Having been in Myrtle Beach for Hugo I feel your pain.  I will take a Tornado any day.  Just keep plugging along it will all get done some day.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

woodhaven

My First Preview,

This tree top went through roof and came out the front door

Looking at front of shop

Get 1 of 4 tres off roof

Richard

Tom

That's gotta be a heart break.  

Who is that in the bottom right of the first picture?  you?

woodhaven

Yea Tom that's yours truly. My hair turned 4 shades whiter in 24 hours,

Richard

shopteacher

Boy Woodhaven, looks like mother nature really gave you a thump.  Sorry to see all them nice trees uprooted and you not getting an opportunity  to make the most of them.  How badly damaged is the house and shop?  Hope your lucky enough to have enough insurance to cover the damages?  Guess the best that comes from something like that is  you and yours being safe and unharmed.  The material things can be replaced or rebuilt.
A loved one is one of a kind.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

woodhaven

Thanks for all the kind words.
We did have a high end insurance policy because of all my junk. I talked to the adjuster today and it will be about 2 weeks before they can get to me. There are a number of people who lost everything but the cloths on there back. I feel very lucky. There is a house about 1/4 mile from me totally flat from trees.
 All of us were in the house and scared sh_tless watching the trees fall everywhere. The wind just refused too ease off. This was one of those things you see on TV and think how bad it must be. Well we found out and hopefully it was once in a lifetime experience.
Richard

Tom

If your adjuster is going to be awhile, be sure to take plenty of pictures of how it looks now.  Sometimes those guys don't believe you.

D._Frederick

Woodhaven,
I rode out one of your storms in 60-61 time frame while working at the Cape. It wasn't a big hurricane, but cut a path across the state north of Orlando. It really raise hell with the orange groves.
From what I have seen, I would not build any form of building with a tree any closure than a tree is tall. Out here in the NW, a lot of people like to build in a grove of Fir trees. Fir trees are shallow rooted, and in rain storms, when the ground is saturated, they tip over. They don't just lay on the roof, they go all the way to the ground.
Any way we are glad that neither you or your family were hurt.

Captain

Good to hear from you Richard.  From the size of those trees and root balls in the pictures, that must have been one heck of a storm.  I took a look at your location on the map, how many miles on shore are you?

woodhaven

Captain,
 About 40 miles driving time. I still have take some pictures of the really big stuff. I have one tree on the ground that the root ball looks like 15' high and 30' wide.
Richard

Wudman

Richard,

Glad to hear that you are alright.  I'm about 100 miles west of you and we just got bruised a little.  We lost the roof off of a tobacco barn and had a few trees go down, but it wasn't too awful bad.  We were without power for about a week.  I worked out of Waverly for seven years (mainly Sussex, Surry, and Southampton Counties).  Looking at the devastation up and down the James River was shocking.  Claremont Beach, Sunken Meadow, and Burwell's Bay pretty much disappeared.  Take care of yourself and best of luck with the insurance company.  

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

L. Wakefield

That looks like one hair-raiser to ride out, alright! Especially when you say the wind did not let up.

I hope SOME of that wood will be useable somehow. Those look like they were fantastic trees. I have heard that when the wind rips em out by the roots there is enough shear force applied to the wood fibers that they have considerable internal damage. There were some pic on the forum of that years ago. I disremember whether they called it shock, shear, or sumthin else. Jeff would know.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

woodhaven

This bad boy was getting just a little to close to the mill.

Richard

Minnesota_boy

A couple of years back I sawed some storm damaged white spruce.  The logs looked fine, not a mark on them, but the flitches broke diagonally when I pushed them off the top of the log.  At first I blamed that on th drop, but the ones I eased off broke too.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DanG

Sorry to hear you guys took such a thump from Isabel.  Sure glad you came through with no injuries, though.  Looks like your house held up pretty well.

Be careful handling those trees that have the big root balls. I've had 2 of them stand back up when I cut limbs from the tops. :o  One of them was a big pecan tree, and I was standing on the trunk cutting off one of the big branches. It was the only place I could cut it without being below it. When it came off, the tree stood back up, about halfway up, anyway. I rode it up, after I unloaded the chainsaw!  Skeered I was, let me tell you!! :o :o :o  Luckily, my Dad was there and poked a ladder up at me, after he quit laughing. >:(

The other one was the next day, and it was an oak in my Sister's yard. I was looking for it this time, and stayed out of the way. Sure enough, when I took enough weight off the top, she popped right back into the hole. The tree lived for several years, albeit a bit shorter, and was cut down to make way for a building.  Both these incidents were after Hurricane Kate in '85.

In an old thread on this forum, someone told of the same thing happening to a guy, but a little girl was playing in the hole. She didn't make it. :'(

Just a reminder for all you guys that are dealing with this right now. Good luck! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodhaven

I tried to get my buddy to leave me his toy. He said he would have to keep it because of the good stereo and air condition. My tractor is louder than that monster.

Richard

Thank You Sponsors!