iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Value Benchtop Planer

Started by lowpolyjoe, December 03, 2012, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hello

I've got some poorly cut (by me :-[) basswood boards.  I'm in the process of drying them but when they're ready I'm going to have to take a good bit of material off to get them flat and true.   

I don't have a ton of room in my garage and not a huge budget so i'm thinking a benchtop planer model is the only option.  Can anyone recommend a good value planer?   $500 or less range.  Probably won't need anything wider than 15" wide and maybe 8 or 10" high.  I need something that's going to be able to take off as much as possible in each pass to get the rough shape down before making the finishing passes.

Someone recommended a planer-jointer combo. Are there benchtop versions like that?

I was also wondering if you could 'plane' a board flat with a band saw.  I watched a youtube video a while back where a guy setup his bandsaw to cut his own veneer from a hardwood board.  Following a similar principle i was wondering if i could cut my boards flat on each side.  Anyone ever hear of that?

Thanks,
Joe

WDH

As to benchtop planers, there are several good ones.  The Rigid from Home Depot gets good reviews.  I had a two knife Dewalt DW 733 planer that I planed thousands of BF with.  These blades could be re-sharpened.  I think that Dodgy Loner still uses it.  The DeWalt DW 734 has three blades, costs a tad over $300 at Lowes, and is a proven winner.  The blades are two sided and disposable.  If you don't have the ability to sharpen your own blades, that might not be so bad.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Something with at least 2 HP, more is better if you plan on doing up ash or oak in the future.

I'm not sure if those chainsaw milled boards will smooth out with all the variation in thickness down the boards. Probably won't lay flat either. You could "plane" the boards flat with a jig set up on a router. Do a forum search for the process. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

You can plain them flat by using some runners attached to the sides of the board.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tree Feller

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on December 03, 2012, 09:39:06 PM

I was also wondering if you could 'plane' a board flat with a band saw.  I watched a youtube video a while back where a guy setup his bandsaw to cut his own veneer from a hardwood board.  Following a similar principle i was wondering if i could cut my boards flat on each side.  Anyone ever hear of that?

Thanks,
Joe

If you have a decent bandsaw and a good resaw blade, you could slice off enough from each side of your boards to somewhat straighten them up. Without a straight side to start with, you will need to strike or pop a line along one edge and then saw to that line. Depending on how good you are with the BS, the resulting edge should be fairly straight, but it won't be finish-stock straight. This is one of those instances where you need a jointer to flatten one side and then plane the opposite side parallel.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

thecfarm

I have a Rigid,about 10 years old. This is really the first year I used it. Works good,I guess. Never been around another small one. Can't take alot at any one time. It's slow,but I only use it on a small scale. But mine will only do a piece 13 inches wide and 6 inches tall. I did plane a few almost 12 inch boards. It did it,but could not take off as much when I was doing the 4 inch boards. I have no idea how long it takes to plane down a 1 1/8" and maybe a little more,hemlock 4 " wide 12 feet long down to an inch. Maybe 15 minutes. Did I say it was slow.  ;D But I never tried boards that was as rough as what you have at this time. I feel you would have to plane a side flip it and just keep going back from side to side. May not even fed all that good if it's real rough or wavy either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the info guys. 

A router jig is something i hadn't thought of.  I'll have to look that up.

jueston

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on December 03, 2012, 09:39:06 PM

I need something that's going to be able to take off as much as possible in each pass to get the rough shape down before making the finishing passes.

i have a ryobi one, when doing a wider piece of hardwood i turn the handle 1/4 turn... each turn is 1/16 of an inch. so thats 1/64 of an inch per pass... i think this is what most people using benchtop planers. the only way to take off a large amount of wood is to get a more powerful planer.

lowpolyjoe

Yeah it seems that removing a lot of material is a tough job for a benchtop setup. 

I think i found the router-planer jig referenced above.  Great option to have... it never ocurred to me.  Looks like a lot of work but a lot cheaper than a planer  :) 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,59260.msg868272.html#msg868272

Ianab

QuoteLooks like a lot of work but a lot cheaper than a planer

For oversize pieces it's one of the easiest methods. Once you have the jig set up, you don't have to move the work piece at all. just run the router up and down.

I do a similar thing by mounting the router on the mill carriage and running it up and down the wood. Can joint / plane a 4ft wide board if I need to. It's a bit more of a hassle to use on smaller boards, but still has it's uses. Gets around any limitation with the width of your jointer, and the router usually does a better job in curly grain or burls.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Busy Beaver Lumber

Actually have two surface planers. The grizzly is a 220V unit with a 15 inch cutting capacity and spiral cut head. It is one fine planer and sees plenty of regular use in the shop.

But at home i have a small delta 12 1/2 inch planer and would recommend that any day of the week. I have owned this planer for over 12 years and have filled at least 60 trash cans with the shavings that have come off of it. Just this week alone i filled 4 trash cans. It is all original and a real work horse. Best part is you can find them all over craigslist for around $100.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

AK Newbie

Just purchased a Steel City 13" planer with the helical cutter heads.  So far I have only run some Spruce boards through it in preparation for making a bench.  It did a fabulous job and the helical cutter heads reportedly last a long time and are easy to change.  It was $488 delivered to the front door thanks to Amazon.com.  It has very positive reviews from those who currently own one.  My understanding is that the cutter heads can be replaced with carbide cutters.  So far so good  :)
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

jueston

Quote from: AK Newbie on December 06, 2012, 12:30:25 AM
Just purchased a Steel City 13" planer with the helical cutter heads.  So far I have only run some Spruce boards through it in preparation for making a bench.  It did a fabulous job and the helical cutter heads reportedly last a long time and are easy to change.  It was $488 delivered to the front door thanks to Amazon.com.  It has very positive reviews from those who currently own one.  My understanding is that the cutter heads can be replaced with carbide cutters.  So far so good  :)

i didn't even know you could get a small planer like this that had the helical head...  ??? i looked on amazon and that one seems like a good model for a small shop.

lowpolyjoe

Busy Beaver - I've heard others recommend the Grizzly planers.  They look nice but they're a bit beyond what i'd need.

The helical option in a benchtop is good to know about too, thanks AK Newbie.

I'm going to put off my planer purchase indefinitely now that i've read about the router approach to planing.  I'm thinking i might try to get a bandsaw this year instead.

Great to have some references to help me narrow the search when it comes time.

Thanks,
Joe

Thank You Sponsors!