iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video of circular sawmill in operation

Started by Thomas Ruga, January 19, 2013, 09:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Ruga

Finally able to get a neat video of our sawmill in operation. My young nephew took it from various locations. No he was not doing anything stupid to get the views he did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_BvwL1jms

Sawdust is addictive
tom

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now that's what I call a sawmill. Good video Tom.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

losttheplot

Thanks for taking the time to post the video.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

bandmiller2

Tom,one of the best sawmill vids I've seen.Yours is what I consider a northeast style mill with the headblocks mounted on a set beam.Looks like a Lane #1 husk and the clasic friction drive.A section of roller table or even a narrow table would be of great help to your offbearer.Tom put a little longer extension on your shipping lever you won't need to bend over.What is your power a 4-71 Detroit.??Liked that overhead shot. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bogue Chitto

Thank's Tom for the video. I have a band mill.  It nice to see other sawmills in operation.  :new_year:

SPD748

Great video Tom! Sounds like a 4-71, maybe a 3?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Chuck White

Thanks for posting the video, Tom.

Nice to see how other sawmills work!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

Good video  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  Makes me want to saw  ;D :)  Actually I do need to saw some cherry logs for trim in the addition.  I got things ready run and haven't gotten back to it.  Waiting for it to warm up a bit now.  I'd rather not run the mill when it's in the single digits  :)  Do you have an edger  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

millwright

Nice video and mill, looks a lot like the setup I worked at when I was a kid.

Thomas Ruga

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 20, 2013, 08:14:45 AM
Tom,one of the best sawmill vids I've seen.Yours is what I consider a northeast style mill with the headblocks mounted on a set beam.Looks like a Lane #1 husk and the clasic friction drive.A section of roller table or even a narrow table would be of great help to your offbearer.Tom put a little longer extension on your shipping lever you won't need to bend over.What is your power a 4-71 Detroit.??Liked that overhead shot. Frank C.
Bandmiller: We do have some roller tables that came with the mill but the offloaders(My 16 and 17 year old boys) say they are for old men. The power is a 3-71 howler. A real thing of beauty.

Thomas Ruga

Quote from: SPD748 on January 20, 2013, 08:36:50 AM
Great video Tom! Sounds like a 4-71, maybe a 3?

-lee
Lee: Its a 3-71. I can't remember what you are using. Are you anywhere near Buncombe County?

Thomas Ruga

Quote from: Chuck White on January 20, 2013, 10:15:47 AM
Thanks for posting the video, Tom.

Nice to see how other sawmills work!

Chuck: The mill came from your neck of the woods. Onchiota near Lake Placid. Early 1900's, maybe 1904-1905. They dont make em' like that anymore!!

SPD748

Tom,

I'm running a 6-71 at 1400 rpm. I love the sound of a Detroit! I'm about an hour away from Buncombe Co.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

torqueporting

Nice mill. How much lead in the saw? I haven't seen a saw throw dust from the backside or scuff the log on the backside like that before.

saxon0364

Quote from: Thomas Ruga on January 20, 2013, 07:45:49 PM
They dont make em' like that anymore!!

No, they sure don't. Wish they did.    Great video, I enjoyed watching.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

Tripp

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: torqueporting on January 20, 2013, 08:31:43 PM
Nice mill. How much lead in the saw? I haven't seen a saw throw dust from the backside or scuff the log on the backside like that before.

I was thinking the same thing.  Its either not enough lead, or the guides should be adjusted a little more.   I have some scuffing with tulip poplar and new teeth. 

The roller tables are also a safety issue.  If one of those boys drops a board, or a slab breaks and catches on the saw, guess where its coming. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Tom,I just watched the vid again and think the boys brought up a good point seems theirs little or no lead into the log.On ether of the mills I've run the saw would just tick the cant on gigback.When I set my lead I use a vernier caliper,mark a tooth mark a headblock check on each side of the arbor.I'am surprised how much torque that 3-71 has, sounds good and "crisp".Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thomas Ruga

Torque: You are right, we have to put a touch more lead in the blade.

Ron: Do you mean it would be safer with the roller table right up to the roller on the husk??

Bandmill: The engine has 35 hours on it since it was rebuilt about 28 years ago. When we stared rebuilding the mill we used the boys tractors John Deere A, Farmall H. They both had their tounges hanging out on the big pine and oak. We put the 3-71 on about three years ago.

Ron Wenrich

The mills I've been in with dead rolls have them up to the husk.  Its just easier to roll things down and if you have a short piece of slab, it doesn't fall down right there at the saw.  You could leave a gap there, but that just gives more opportunity for the off bearer to get too close to the saw.  Its real easy to get complacent when everything is going just right.

Your two boys would be singing a different tune if you started to cut ties.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!