iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It Never Hurts to Ask!

Started by Mossy Chariot, January 09, 2019, 03:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Chariot

Thanks to you all!!!!  This is my first post but have been listening and learning from you all for a while.  

I am retiring soon, after 40+ years, and looking forward to starting a portable sawmill service and spending much more time woodworking.
I bought my LT35HD and picked it up in Newnan, GA on Halloween this past year.  I've primarily been sawing my own logs with a half-a-day customer job the day after Christmas.

I have been driving by a house that had a pile of logs laying in the edge of the woods for several years.  From a distance, they appeared to be mostly pine.  I stopped the other day and asked the owner if he had an interest in having any of the logs that were still good sawed into lumber.  He showed no interest.  Was more interested into cutting some firewood out of it.

A few days later, I stopped and took a closer look at the logs.  I saw a few good sized pines (24" Ø by 20' long), a lot of smaller pines and then, on the bottom of the pile, oaks and hickories. Most were 18" to 24" Ø and 16' to 20 ' long.  Was expecting the oaks to be chestnut oaks, as there are a lot of these in my area, but turns out they were red and white oaks.

After a couple more days, I decided it "Never hurts to ask."  I called the owner up and made him an offer.  "I'll cut and stack you a couple of loads of firewood if you'll let me clean those logs out of your way."  He was thrilled.  He was going to get some nut to cut and stack him some firewood for free!  

I've moved about half of the 40+ logs so far.  Will get the rest this weekend and cut some firewood from the hardwood tops.  Great thing is we both think we got a great deal!!!
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

samandothers

Those are the best deals!  Congratulations on the Mill and the logs.   Be safe and enjoy the saw dust.

Stephen1

That has to be the best deal of all! When both sides are happy. 8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, with a good deal both parties leave thinking they got a good deal. I often see a stack of logs or sometimes just one log or big tree down and I will stop and ask the people if they are interested in having them sawed and if nobody is there I just thumbtack a business card to the log(s). Occasionally I get some work out of it and so far have never offended anyone.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mossey Chariot!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brad_bb

So how are you loading and hauling?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

BenTN

Welcome to the forum neighbor. I see so many logs rot away around here, wish I could rescue them all. We just got our lt35 back Sept from Newnan, we bought at the open house in Aug.

Mossy Chariot

Thanks for the welcome!!!

I have read some of your posts, BenTN.  While I figured you were in TN, I did not realize how close.  Hopefully, we'll cross paths soon.

Brad_bb, I have a skidding winch on my Kubota 3450 i pull them out with and used the front-end loader to set them on an equipment trailer borrowed from my neighbor.  I had less than a mile to travel one way on back roads, so it has been pretty easy.  I will have to give a lot more though to how to move logs in the future with DOT regs the way they are if the logs are not real close.  More apt to saw on-site than to move.
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Mossey Chariot,  Enjoy your milling retirement. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I once had a need for some White Oak for bridge planks.

And a friend contacted me about removing this dying White Oak tree.

Notice the dead leaves in the top.

And this "widow maker" from an adjacent tree that came crashing down well after the tree was on the ground.  You can also see it in the above picture.   :o

Unloading the logs at my sawmill.

And his property as I left it.  Tops ready to burn and the firewood ready to haul.  He was very pleased.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2019, 09:21:42 AM
I once had a need for some White Oak for bridge planks.

And a friend contacted me about removing this dying White Oak tree.

Notice the dead leaves in the top.

And this "widow maker" from an adjacent tree that came crashing down well after the tree was on the ground.  You can also see it in the above picture.   :o

Unloading the logs at my sawmill.

And his property as I left it.  Tops ready to burn and the firewood ready to haul.  He was very pleased.  :)
smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup Nice job. You can come cut my logs anytime...mileage might be an issue....heh
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

:D  Not an issue for me @ $1.50 per mile.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Lynn, word of caution:
Wait till spring to make this road trip, otherwise you and your rig will get all gummed up and stuck in those white grits that you thought were sawdust.

Woodmizer mods - hydraulics mostly in Sawmills and Milling

I direct your attention to replies 8 through 11.

:D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

It's a Glacial thang so I ain't skeered.   :D  

Bruno of NH

Some times it's nice to put your foot in some cold northern grits😁
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

No need to be skeered Magic. Just show them northern grits some respect!
1992 LT40HD

terrifictimbersllc

Them grits is white cos no food coloring has been added like is common to those fixed down south.  Yellow grits is yellow dye #666 snuck in on those good folks.

In olden days oleo couldn't be colored yellow neither in Wisconsin.

White is rite now the go-to way to get grits to Maine afore @thecfarm gets his wall built soon goin up round that state.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Actually we dye it yellow to keep our uninformed Glaciated Brethren away from the "good stuff".  Sorta like growing mushrooms, keep 'um in the dark and feed 'em ......well barnyard.   :D 

thecfarm

No true Northern would eat them things steady. We all have to try things to make sure we don't like 'em. ;)
That fake butter was white way up North too,during the poor days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

OK, my motive has been disclosed, and since we are friends and I do really like you, I will come clean.  Yes, as Dennis mentioned above we use Funks 666 genetically pollinated corn which produces Yellow Grain which we grind into Yellow Grits, but this is for a very valid reason.  Our Glaciated Brethren know not to eat Yellow Snow, so being the smart guys that they are they react and instinctively shun any Yellow food that may resemble Yellow Snow.  So being the smart guys that we are we instinctively know that Yellow Grits or White Grits slathered with Yellow Butter will keep our Glaciated Brethren away from our food.   food6

terrifictimbersllc

The only legitimate reason grits should be yellow would be butter or cheese.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

BenTN

Ok so now I gotta ask the wife for her cheese grits casserole. Y'all makin me hungry with all this talk of butter'd grits.

Darrel

Here's how it is at the Carson house. If I want grits I have to cook 'em myself. Vera doesn't like 'em and doesn't know how to cook 'em. Same goes for her cream of wheat. She has to cook it herself. 

Yesterday after this talk about good food (grits), I cooked me up a mess of grits made with yellow corn, yellow butter and yellow cheese. And just think, I've never been to the South, well I did go to Texas once. I'm going to go make some more grits. 

Carry on. 

1992 LT40HD

terrifictimbersllc

Last 2 mornings my wife had grits & butter waiting for me with coffee when I got up.  Milling is hard. 

thecfarm

My crusade is never ending,no matter what color them things are stained. 
I had an easy job many,many years ago. Now it's kinda like Jeff,he has to fight off those internet bad people. I have to fight off the grit people. As Jeff says,it's getting worse.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!