iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Kidney Stone Hurts. Round Two.

Started by Chris Burchfield, June 23, 2012, 08:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Norm, the doc must have been using a do-all farm implement clearing a path.  That's about what it feels like.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

martyinmi

Hopefully your urologist is better than my FORMER urologist was when the stint is removed. If they are good and use modern scopes, as my NEW urologist does, it is not very painful. My old doctor was just that - old - and so was his equipment. I have no way of knowing for sure, but his scope (it's hollow in the middle to incorporate the pliers-type instrument used to pluck out the stint) FELT like it was a half inch in diameter or more and two inches in length. I'm sure my "by feel" measurements are exaggerated some, but it definitely hurt, and he was not gentle. He also took 4 or 5 stabs before he hooked it well enough to pull it out.
   My new doctor had me take a couple 10 mg KETOROLAC (generic for TORADOL) an hour or so before I came in for the removal and that really, really helped with the pain.

Hope it goes well for ya Chris. Sounds like you'll be stone free in a week or two.

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

thurlow

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on July 06, 2012, 08:46:46 AM
Norm, the doc must have been using a do-all farm implement clearing a path.  That's about what it feels like.
Awwwwwwwwwwww, man!  I feel for you.......
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

I had a stint removed, and I was a little worried about the process.  This thing must have been 16" long.  I was talking to the Doc while he was checking me out.  I was asking about how he would do it and if it would require anesthesia.  While I was taking, he just reached down, grabbed the string, and pulled it out in one motion  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

I was going to tell you about my stint removal after yours is out.  :-X

WDH

You are right..........I should have waited, too  :-X.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

martyinmi

Quote from: WDH on July 06, 2012, 08:40:41 PM
I had a stint removed, and I was a little worried about the process.  This thing must have been 16" long.  I was talking to the Doc while he was checking me out.  I was asking about how he would do it and if it would require anesthesia.  While I was taking, he just reached down, grabbed the string, and pulled it out in one motion  :).
I'm quite sure that Chris's stint is in a different location than yours was. His will be "hooked" in his kidney and travel down to his bladder. The stints used on me were basically a piece of rubber with hooks formed on each end. You definitely know that they are in there, and their removal is unpleasant, but a bunch more bearable than the 1.1 cm stone he had.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Mooseherder

Yup, Mr. Happy has a sensitive side. :D
My stone got stuck above the y intersection and there was no way it was gonna pass.  Doc went in to get it and sent me home same day procedure.  I got to remove the cath and bag strapped to my leg the next day while in the shower.
The stint came out 2 weeks later in his office.
I will never go see that guy again.

WDH

Norm

I don't know about Chris but I cross my legs ever time I open this thread....and you guys aren't helping one bit!  :o

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mooseherder

He'll be better soon and it'll only be a memory. ;D

Magicman

Reading this is as close to those procedures that I ever want to get.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chris Burchfield

The stint is looped at both ends.  One end is up in the right kidney where the stone fragments are.  Then it extends down the ureter toward the bladder.  Thursday and yesterday were rough even with the pain med every four hours.  Though I don't like pain, I don't like dope (pain killer) unless absolutely needed.  I laid off the pain med last night.  Got up this morning cut/bagged, edged the front yard then blew the sidewalk and driveway off.  Came in showered, and took pain med.  It's suppose be 101° F this afternoon and did'n want to wait for the sun to go down.  It would still be hot around 100° F.  It was about 78° F while I was out there this morning and though sweating not too bad.  Bobo and the boys don't want to be cramped that's for sure.  At times it's like when a guy has been racked.  I did take pain med after I got out of the shower this morning.

Mooseherder

I took half a pill of pain meds when I had mine done and almost passed out from it.
It was a good thing I was sitting down because my wife said my eyes were rolling around the back of my head.  The over the counter stuff is good enough for me.

doctorb

Like I've always said.... medicine is pain and some Docs are better at it than others. ;)  You can take that any way you want to read it.  Good Luck Chris!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

martyinmi

Hey Chris,
   I've been wondering how you've been getting along. Did you pass all your gravel yet?
   Here are just a few of the stones I've passed over the years. The two largest ones are a little over a quarter inch(6-7mm). If I remember correctly, my first one was only a bit over 3.5mm, and I thought I had a burst appendix and was dying.
   Sorry for the bad picture. I know how to zoom out on our camera, but I don't know how to focus it on close-ups.

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chris Burchfield

He busted it up with a lazer on the 12th.  Ex-ray of it on the 20th showed the gravel still there sitting in the bottom of the kidney.  Doc said he didn't know why and suggested I spend any time I could laying on my side.  Seems the ureter attaches off to the side and just above the bottom of the kidney.  I've not realized anything coming out.  Small enough I probably won't.  I don't think he left anything in there large enough to cause pain on the way out.  Said busting it up took about an hour.  Wants to check it in three months.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!