iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deutz F5L912 operating temperature

Started by jdatwood, April 12, 2019, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdatwood

Good evening members,
Anyone have any tricks or tips to get their Deutz up to operating temperature? Ive only had the machine a year and use it as a hobby but find the only time it's warm enough is in the dead of summer. Winter time use I can barely get the oil temperature up which makes for a smokey stack. Ive heard of people making covers for the air blower to reduce the flow and am thinking of going that route but would like to hear others experience. I can basically hold my hand on the cylinders and not be concerned about a burn. Temperature gauge doesn't read in degrees, it's just a scale but it only moves up an 1/8 scale (yes it works) in August. 

Bandmill Bandit

IT has been a few years since I looked after 812 and 912 Deutz engines. The ones I looked after were irrigation constant load/RPM applications. The fan had a manually adjustable variable pulley on it that you could use it increase/decrease air flow by changing the fan speed. Not sure if the ones you have will have that type of pulley on them but I would be surprised if they don't.

If not you can get them through parts at a Deutz dealer. They do tend to cease if if they haven't been reset for a while. There are a few different sizes to give a good range of air flow setting.      
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

jdatwood

Interesting, makes complete sense I'll look again and make sure I understand what I have there. I'm pretty sure it's just a belt off the crank straight to the blower shive with a belt tensioner but maybe not. One would think it'd be temperature  regulated in some manner. It used to warm up better but I've since pressure washed the engine and thoroughly cleaned the oil cooler and cylinders/heads so it's staying nice and cool now, too cool. Thanks for your suggestion.

Bandmill Bandit

I have never seen a Deutz air cooled with out the variable pulley and I have seen a few hundred over the years.

IF I recall correctly there are 2 set screws that lock the outer/front face of theDriven pulley once you have it set/ I ALWAYS used the medium (blue) lock tight (SPARINLY) AFTER I had the setting I wanted. Sparingly on the lock tight because you do NOT want it on the pulley threads! Those pulleys are a very high quality steel and the threads that adjust them are quite fine so be careful and patient during the process.

I know its a pain in the butt, but if they are at all giving resistance throw the entire pulley in a bucket diesel fuel over night and then take it apart and clean it WELL. Then soak in varsol for a half hour and clean that off with Brake Klean. You can use a VERY light coat of a high grade silicone on the threads to pro long the interval when you need to redo the clean.

A lot of guys say you have to be a German to work on the Deutz and while I am German I think you simply have to be meticulous and patient.    
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

Had a chat with my old partner that I did the irrigation baby sitting with in the 70s. 

He said he thought the newer ones at that time had gone too a pulley that had 6 x 10MM bolts that held the front pulley face in place but wasn't sure what year they changed to that design. 

I do remember that type of pulley but I thought it was on the larger HP engines. 

Thats 40 ish years ago so it is pretty fuzzy. A picture would probably blow out a few cob webs.    

jdatwood

Hmm, my drive pulley does have probably 6 bolts in the face of it. I've not given it any mind. So there's some sort of adjustment there? It's buried behind the hydraulic pump so I've never really studied it. I'll pull it out tomorrow and get in there for a peek. That'd be fantastic if that's all I need to do! 

Bandmill Bandit

It won't likely be the drive pull on the crank that has the adjustment but the driven pulley on the front of the fan that will be adjustable FYI. 

jdatwood

Got in there for a good look today and unfortunately no adjustments. Both shives are solid. I suppose they could be changed for a different size but I'd need to figure out which one and that'd turn into an experiment. I'm thinking of having an adjustable damper made for the fan, intake side. Try to have a summer and winter mode adjustment. In Maine the temperature swings from -35F to 95F so whatever I do it needs to be quick, easy, and accessible for adjustment. There's a 2" rim guard that extends past the blower housing and it's a perfect spot to mount the damper. 

kiko

Could you make a vent in the shroud between the fan and the jugs that is adjustable like a bbq grill air intake?

jdatwood

I think that's exactly what I'm going to do except it's going on the upstream side of the fan since there's that removable flange bolted to the blower. Be that concept though, be able to dial in a setting and secure it. 

Riwaka

Do you have a parts diagram of your engine?

Engine Types and Styles - Deutz Air cooled   video
Engine Types and Styles Deutz Air Cooled - YouTube

Example of deutz air cooled engine. 
2.5.1  Engine description (1/3 way down through pdf)
'Amount of cool air regulated by exhaust thermostat'  or 'cooling air regulated by exhaust thermostat and solenoid'
https://deutz-minsk.by/pdf/service/914.pdf

jdatwood

Wow! Thanks for the thorough response. I have a 385 page manual in 3 languages and I'm still trying to find mention of temperature regulation. Unfortunately the 912 series has a direct belt drive cooling fan right off the crankshaft. That manual is for the 914 series which has a thermostatically controlled fluid coupling which I wish I had. The 912 as far as I can tell from research has no way to regulate engine temp other than ambient and load. To make sure it will stay cool in the hottest of days it seems it was engineered to do that. The problem is the fan runs the same amount at -35F as it does at 95F. I'm sure someone has crossed this bridge before. I think if nothing else that adjustable intake damper would be great but there may be a better way. 

Riwaka

You could add a wolverine engine oil heater and warm up the engine oil.

Place a 12 volt - air blower fan above where the exhaust manifold is and blow/ pipe warm air around into the engine cooling fan. (something like the aircooled Suzuki atvs ran)

Run a higher cetane rating diesel or diesel cetane booster to generate more heat.

Exhaust smoke is engine piston rings etc.

------------------
Though the blanking off/ restricting the size of air intake for the fan is probably the best starting point.

Probably a thermocouple that gives an accurate XXX F temperature reading is also an idea.(Probably two thermocouples in different places to compare readings in case a thermocouple is faulty)

Oliver05262

Do you have a temperature gauge for cylinder head temperature? Too cold is bad, but too hot is catastrophic. The ones I've seen on TJ's have the sensor bulb on one of the rear heads where the glow plug would be. 
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

barbender

Is there no way to make a simple cardboard solution?
Too many irons in the fire

jdatwood

That's what I ran this winter, worked pretty well. Only issue with that was the snow and ice making it want to suck through that expensive blower. 

barbender

Gotcha. Next I would try, reinforced cardboard😁

jdatwood

Hahaha! Yep, that's kinda the plan. 

Ed_K

Back yard mechanic idea. Mount a roll up curtain in front of the radiator so you can adjust air flow ;).
Ed K

jdatwood

Anyone have similar experiences with a Deutz? They seem to be made for really hot weather, steady load applications like pumps and generators etc. seems like and off and on setup like a skidder doesn't really keep them warm unless it's summertime. 

Don P

Yes but I haven't tried to do anything, it is a cool runner and takes a good bit of work to warm it up to what feels like its operating temp. I guess if you had some type of temp gauge you could make a shutter to swing up and block some airflow. If a thermocouple talked to a digital thermostat it could run a solenoid and move the shutter. Or it could run the fan on an electric clutch. I keep meaning to put something sort of like that on it to raise an alarm if the fan belt breaks to avoid cooking it, which concerns me more.

jdatwood

Thanks for the response, it sounds like this is par for the course with a Deutz 912 series engine in a skidder. I'm sure I'm over thinking it but it'd be nice to get the temp up a touch. It'll run cleaner and more efficient if at temp. I run synthetic oil so wear running low oil temp shouldn't be a huge deal. I'm going to make that intake damper and start small with choking the flow off and see what happens. I bet getting 25% or so reduction in flow will get it right where I want it. 

barbender

Could you retrofit a viscous fan pulley, or a big electric fan clutch?

jdatwood

I'm looking into it, I'm sure it can be done. I was kinda hoping someone else on here had already solved this and I wouldn't have to blaze a new path. Deutz obviously solved this issue when they went to the 914 series engine. I may reach out to them and get an opinion. They may say don't worry about it, run it. 

David-L

I had that motor in a 225A series Timberjack and yes it took time to warm up but never did anything to it. Smoked a bit when cold but that cleared up considerably with new injectors. I love these motors, I dont' think I'd mess to much with it except to keep the jugs clean and oil leaking from the fire rings. I always ran some loggers tape on the drivers side engine guard and if the fan was pushing the tape was flying. my secondary safety to ensure the fan belt hadn't broke. I have a complete fan assembly new for that motor. ?.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!