iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texas Cypress Logs

Started by MMann, December 05, 2012, 08:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I am going to side with mm on this one all the way .You may find some good siding in some of it but finding any decent structural lumber after that long is going to be a stretch.The slow growing older trees with tight rings can stand for over a year.I saw a good bit of dead pine and some of it is junk within 5 months.You should be finding some beetle killed trees that you can work with ,there are many here in south ga.  good luck   al
al glenn

MMann

Ok, I cut one of the trees that died in the fire (30"D).  The bark was lose, and I only saw 1 termite.  The tree also did not break as it fell.  I even aimed it towards a smaller leaning tree to see if that would create more stress in the fall, but that may have softened the blow.  It did wipe out the smaller one though!

Here is the butt end of the log

This is the stump.  I made the cut about 1 ft above the ground.  Magicman, you suggested 2 feet, but I wanted to shoot for the worst case and went lower.  I also read the old post you attached to your last reply, and will look out for that as well.  I know a picture isn't the same as seeing it in person, but based on what you see here, what do you think?  I'm still shooting for beeting the odds!!!  Thanks again to all.

EZ Boardwalk 40 w/ 27hp Honda GX690
1960 MF65 diesel w/ Davis 102 FEL
Husqvarna 562xp

Magicman

You did good MMann.  All that tree/log needs is sawing into whatever lumber that you need.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

That log is fine.  In fact, very fine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MMann

Quote from: Magicman on December 10, 2012, 09:01:30 PM
You did good MMann.  All that tree/log needs is sawing into whatever lumber that you need.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Quote from: WDH on December 10, 2012, 09:04:53 PM
That log is fine.  In fact, very fine.

That's the best news I've heard all day!!  I just hope the rest look just as good, but I'm gonna expect some waste.  WDH, I fully intended on doing your knife trick, but I forgot it in my rush to get to the site after church yesterday.
Thanks to all who offered up their advice and opinions, even our friend down under, thanks Chris.

I'll start a new thread when the milling and building begins!
Husqvarna 562xp

Buck

Looking forward to the rest of the story....
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

This one should pass the knife test with flying colors.  You can use it as a baseline on how a good log should feel with the knife test.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I am excited for you, because I was happy to see that stump/log.  You could also carry an axe and sound the trees.  You need one for setting your wedges anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MMann

Quote from: Magicman on December 10, 2012, 09:22:34 PM
I am excited for you, because I was happy to see that stump/log.  You could also carry an axe and sound the trees.  You need one for setting your wedges anyway.

Actually I did have the axe on hand for the wedges, and attempted to "sound the trees", but I was getting a thud.  I was expecting something a little higher pitched though.
Husqvarna 562xp

Magicman

If they all look like that when they are felled, they don't need testing.   :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

No Worries  :) Looks real good from here  ;) ;D I think you have all the pine you want/need for your Home n Barn and anything else you want to build Mate   ;) ;D ;D 8)

There was one mill here that was still sawing Salvage logs 6 years after a huge fire in 83 we had but thay had access to a Lake  ;) they salvaged all their burnt timber in 18months and stored it something like 1.2 million tonnes in the lake  :) :)  A well with pump or town water sprays will delay stain and let you keep the logs longer alot of the mils sawing interior linning/flooring here in pine will keep it under sprays or if they have large volumes in storage  ;)

are you planning on milling what you need as you go or hitting the milling hard and sawing everything you need for your Home first up ??

Are these trees on your own land or friends cant really remember  Mate ??? 

Rgards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

MMann

Quote from: Meadows Miller on December 10, 2012, 11:36:47 PM

are you planning on milling what you need as you go or hitting the milling hard and sawing everything you need for your Home first up ??

Are these trees on your own land or friends cant really remember  Mate ??? 
Thanks Chris. I feel like I should hit it hard and get what I can as fast as I can.  I don't want to gamble with mother nature too much.  Based on others past experiences with dead SYP, I feel I am lucky to still have such good trees and should do eveything I can now.  The trees are on a friends land, and the utilities have been disconnected since the fire, so theres no water available for me to set up sprinklers.
Matt
Husqvarna 562xp

Woodchuck53

Welcome aboard. You'll like it here. What ever you cut and can't saw right away try and keep them off the ground. Even purchasing used cross ties for this since you are building for a house. I had a lot of post and beam in mine also so look at your cut list and get those 20' beams out of the tightest grain logs you cut. These will carry your open truss weight better.

Ask away and someone here will be able to help you out.

You probably know this but we are very safety minded here as most of us work alone. So that being said do you have chaps? Makes a great christmas gift. Stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

MMann

Thank you Chuck.  I'll do some reasearch, but in the mean time, can you explain the whole tight grain thing?  I am assuming that would refer to the least amount of space between the growth rings??  In regards to saftey, I am fortunate that I work for a power plant and we preach safety before production.  I have already purchased the chaps, hard hat with face shield and ear muffs.  As far as Christmas, I'm hoping santa pulls through with a box of blades!!
Matt
Husqvarna 562xp

Woodchuck53

Sure Matt. Looking at the pictures you posted of the pine I would say from the width of the reddish rings you have a fast growing tree. Looking at the end grain like that you would want slow growth tight ring ratio of red to blond or syp as it is known. I have some #1 2x8's that at 20' are heavy as heck because they are full of old growth sap. Will burn like heck but are strong as an ox. The pattern on the rings are about 1/8" evenly spaced or so. Good and strong old growth material.
On a different note when you square up your wood to build save all the drops and split for fire place kindling. That is good stuff. Hope this helps. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Texas Ranger

The end of log pictures show a log that is hauled to the mills here every day.  Take a shot and start milling.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I would not consider that a fast growing tree.  From the rings, it grew very slowly for the first years, indicating that it was over-topped or suppressed for almost 30 years.  Then, it was released by some agent, either weather or man (as in the form of a harvest).  For the next 10 years, it grew gang busters, then slowed down, probably due to competition.  The latter years, it grew very slow until its demise.  It looks like it is at least 65 - 70 years old.

Magicman

Here are a couple of pictures of "things" that I found under the loose bark of a few SYP logs that I sawed today.

Many termites.  This is only one small section.  Just imagine a whole 22" log.   :o

And then sawyer worms.  You quickly notice the large one, but look at the many juveniles.

And no real day is complete without at least one of these.  Nope, I did not saw it.   ;D   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sawing mostly Pine, Magic, I see this weekly. I've never dulled a blade on a worm yet. However, on your last pic....the nail? These will turn a good day into a bad day.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That is a nice picture of a nail  :D.  Good that you can still see good  ;D.

Magicman

Yup, termites and sawyer worms are the normal when sawing dead SYP.  I just thought MMann might want to see some.   ;D

That was nail #1 of 2...... :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 11, 2012, 09:36:18 PM
That is a nice picture of a nail  :D.  Good that you can still see good  ;D.

Most of the time the blade sees them before I do.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

Well David,

I think you may be a little cross eyed? If you would run into the low brace in the corner of your shed maybe it would straighten that out for ya and ya could see the nail! That is you in your avatar  right?

;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!