iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Book suggestions...hewing/dovetail

Started by Ar549, May 17, 2019, 06:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ar549

Looking for a good book on hand hewn log building.  Interested in Appalachian style cabin construction.  Figured you folks would have a ton of suggestions! Thanks

barbender

I don't remember the title, but I think the author's name was Charles McRaven. He wrote a book about dovetail/Appalachian style homes.
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

"The Classic Hewn Log House" Charles "Mac" McRaven
He's from Charlottesville. He also does consulting work, I met him on a house down here I was looking at. Pretty neat old home, a dogtrot built over time. There was an acetylene (carbide) generator in the side yard still intact for gaslight in the old place.

logman

I have Charles McRaven's book.  It is what took me down the road that I am on now (timber framing)  Another good book is by Drew Langsner if you can find it.  You can take a class with a guy that worked for Don Chapman in Virginia also.  I went to Don's class twice since it was so much fun.  I can find that info for you if you'd like.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Brad_bb

What I needed to learn hewing, was having someone show me.  I posted some vids lately, but nothing beats learning in person.  It's not as hard as you might think.  It's work though.  Where are you located?  You can put your location in your profile and it will show up the left side of your posts, that way people can answer your posts taking your location into consideration.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Apparently Ar549 lives just North of Junior Samples place because Junior's phone number is Br549.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ar549

Quote from: Magicman on May 18, 2019, 09:49:21 AM
Apparently Ar549 lives just North of Junior Samples place because Junior's phone number is Br549.  :)
That's awesome that you caught that.  

btulloh

Actually he is Junior Samples. ARxxx, BRxxx, and CRxxx are all the same phone number.

Probably trying to stay under the radar.
HM126

Ar549

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 18, 2019, 02:14:07 AM
What I needed to learn hewing, was having someone show me.  I posted some vids lately, but nothing beats learning in person.  It's not as hard as you might think.  It's work though.  Where are you located?  You can put your location in your profile and it will show up the left side of your posts, that way people can answer your posts taking your location into consideration.
Added my location.  We're actually still in SC at this moment but we're starting the move to our WV property in July.
Would love to have someone to learn from.  I'm hoping I can find someone local who still does this sort of thing.  I'd travel for some instruction if the time was available though.

Magicman

Quote from: btulloh on May 18, 2019, 04:43:16 PMActually he is Junior Samples. ARxxx, BRxxx, and CRxxx are all the same phone number.
You got me on that one.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Quote from: Magicman on May 18, 2019, 07:45:29 PMYou got me on that one. 

But you were first to see through the deception. ;)
HM126

Magicman

Well I had to do some serious investigating and found that my initial Reply #5 was indeed correct.  Ar549's area code is 304, and Junior's Used Cars is in the Nashville, TN, area code 615.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!