iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axe for hewing?

Started by Satamax, September 18, 2012, 05:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

I have done a little search before asking.  And didn't seem to find much.

What blade dimension, type of blade, bevels etc is needed for a hewing axe?

If anybody cares to check what i have over here on the second hand market.

axes

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Jim_Rogers

Over here what is commonly used is a "Broad Axe" which means to me that the head is only sharpened on one side. That is it only has one bevel cutting surface. The back side is flat, no bevel like a chisel.

You use a regular axe (sharpened with a double bevel) to chop out the spaces between the "joggles" and then chop off the joggles with this standard double bevel axe.

After you finish removing all the waste wood with the standard axe you then use the broad axe as a finishing axe to make the flat surface of the timber.

There are many opinions on the width of the broad axe.

One teacher of mine prefers one that it not very wide 8 or 9".

Another well know writer of books about axes says he likes a 10 to 12" axe head.

The width of the head could be considered personal preference.

You may have to try one to see if you like it or not.

This is a collection of axes shown at a hewing demo at a guild conference:

Some of these can be seen being used at on a YouTube video.

Here is a link to that video:

http://youtu.be/4xhVTyG6u1E

There are more parts of this demo on other videos as well.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

frwinks

When I was taught to hew, I was given a choice of two axes,  NA type broad axe and European goosewing axe.  I connected with the goosewing and have been using one since.  Single bevel, with a slight convex.  Some call it a finishing axe, as it leaves a very smooth finish. 
Looks like this one:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/357063360.htm?ca=21_s   

Rooster

Check out Mike Beaudry Hewing with a John Neeman Bearded Axe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGy31E63Ems

It is quite the endorsement.  Good job John and Jacob!!!

Here is a link to the product page of their tool site:

http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/axes--adzes

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Satamax

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

Jim, hewing with joggles seems back breaking.

Frwinks, thanks a lot for taking the time. Actualy i did see this one, and thought it was a reproduction of a war axe for the type of guys who love to put arms on the wall. I should have paid better atention.

Rooster, i quite like the "low down hewing" ;D

In the end, there's no ultimate axe; which works for everybody.
Thanks again guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

WildDog

Jim the middle axe looks similar to one of my Scottish made ones.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Chilterns

Hi Wilddog,

Who made your Scottish axes and where were they made ?

Do you have a website address or is this a vintage tool ?

Chilterns

WildDog

Chilterns that particular axe is definately a vintage axe, that I inherited. I was told years ago it is known as a bearded axe.  From memory it was made in Glasgow. (next time I am up in the shed I will check) I think a few of my axes and adzes were made in Scotland, but they are all old.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Max sawdust

IMO
This is the axe...  All serious professional hewers I know use the Gransfors Swedish broad axe 1900 double bevel.
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

I own one... But have not taken the time to master hewing....  Some people have what it takes some do not.... 
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

D L Bahler

The Scottish axe very likely comes from a Norwegian pattern, or that would be my suspicion, like many French axe types show a clear Scandinavian influence or otherwise Germanic source.

As for the claim that the Gransfors 1900 is the chief of all hewing axes, I disagree.

I own one and use it all the time, but not for hewing. For me, it is a joinery axe -a task that it excels at. But I find it much too small for hewing. That's what my German goosewing is for.

LOGDOG

This was a video that was next to the one Rooster posted. It showcases different axes and hewing methods. I thought it was pretty enjoyable to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKGpkTgU1Fo&feature=player_embedded

Al_Smith

My old buddy who is now deceased had a collection of broad axes. Several had offset handles so you could get right down on them squaring timber on the horizontal. I have no idea where they came from. Might have came over on the Mayflower for all I know.

Satamax

D L Bahler, may be the northern axes came from the franks, or the gauls. So it might have some French origins  ;D

Guys, what about adze hewing? Any good videos?

ChrisGermany

Have hewn a few logs with an adz, before I could find a decent broad-axe. Don't have any videos on it, but I will say it's a slow, frustrating process unless you're working with a very small log.

My favored axe is the John Neeman bearded broad-axe. Love a good goosewing, though.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Thank You Sponsors!